The International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI) seeks to hire a Research Associate to work with the Agriculture for Nutrition and Health (A4NH) country research focal point and research team. The incumbent will support research, stakeholder communications and policy engagement activities under a broad portfolio of the A4NH research program in the country.
The purpose of this job will include giving support to stakeholder communications and engagement, quantitative and qualitative data collection and analysis, literature reviews and support to preparation of reports, meeting notes/minutes, journal manuscripts, and presentations.
Successful candidates will work with the A4NH research team in Ethiopia as well as other partners who straddle academic fields in nutrition, health and economics etc. and work in strong collaborative project teams. Opportunities exist for co- authored publications, conference presentations and travel within Ethiopia and internationally.
Main duties & responsibilities:
- Assists with the coordination process of the A4NH research programme in Ethiopia;
- Assists with stakeholder engagement and research implementation for the A4NH research programme in Ethiopia;
- Contributes to conducting literature reviews, preparing presentations and presentation materials as needed;
- Provides research, analytical and preparation support for meetings, workshops and conferences, including systematic documentation of meetings and events;
- Supports activities related to communications and knowledge mobilization (media engagement, stakeholder consultations, writing blogs, preparation of research and policy briefs);.
- Any other responsibilities that will be assigned by supervisor.
- Master’s degree in Public Health, Nutrition or related field, Development Studies, Agricultural Economics, Statistics, Economics.
- Minimum of three years of relevant post-Masters’ work experience.
- Experience using statistical software packages, especially Stata.
- Prior work experience with research or development organizations.
- Excellent spoken and written English; good written skills are crucial.
- Ability to work independently, and pay close attention to detail.
- Good interpersonal skills, high energy, ability to multi-task and work well with people.
- Willingness and ability to travel within Ethiopia, including to rural areas, and internationally.
- Prior experience working with research, government and development institutions in Ethiopia.
- Experience working with international and national researchers will be an advantage.
- Experience with and/or exposure to qualitative research methods.
- Knowledge of agriculture, nutrition or health programmes in Ethiopia.
Duty Station: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia with frequent travel within Ethiopia including to rural areas
Job level: 2D.
Monthly Base Salary: Birr 21,367 (Negotiable depending on experience, skill and salary history of the candidate)
Terms of appointment: This is a Nationally Recruited Staff (NRS) position and the appointment is a fixed term for two years. The ILRI remuneration package for nationally recruited staff in Ethiopia includes very competitive salary and benefits such as life and medical insurance, offshore pension plan, etc.
The ILRI campus is set in a secure, attractive campus in Addis Ababa. Dining and sports facilities are located on site.
Applications: Applicants should provide a cover letter and curriculum vitae; names and addresses (including telephone and email) of three referees who are knowledgeable about the candidate’s professional qualifications and work experience to be included in the curriculum vitae.
The position and reference number: REF: RA/06/17 should be clearly indicated in the subject line of the cover letter. All applications to be submitted online on our recruitment portal: http://ilri.simplicant.com on or before 8 March 2017.