Intern – Resilience and Disaster Risk Management, IGAD / UNDP
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Starting Date: 01-Mar-2017
Duration of Initial Contract: 6 months
Background: The Inter-Governmental Authority for Development (IGAD) comprises eight countries namely Djibouti, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Kenya, Somalia, South Sudan, Sudan and Uganda.
The countries make the Horn of Africa (HoA) sub-region, the home to the largest livestock population in the world. The sub-region covers 4,625,278 km² with a population of approximately 221 million people in 2011.
The area includes some of the most arid places in the world. The harsh environment and climate change vulnerability are a major threat to the sub-region’s life-supporting ecosystems and their services thereby posing significant challenges to socio-economic development.
United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) in partnership with IGAD is implementing a project entitled, “Strengthening the Capacity of IGAD in Building Resilience in the Horn of Africa” with the focus on achievement of the following four key outputs:
i) Strengthened capacity of the IGAD Secretariat to plan, implement and coordinate Drought Emergency activities in the Horn of Africa under the Institutional Strengthening Action Plan (ISAP) Framework;
ii) Drought Resilience and Disaster Risk Management related knowledge products, polices and systems made available;
iii) Development and implementation of IGAD’s resource mobilisation and partnership strategy to strengthen drought resilience in the region;
iv) Strengthened National Coordination Mechanisms of Member States for Drought Resilience.
UNDP is opening an opportunity for an Intern to provide support to the UNDP/IGAD project team.
Under the guidance and direction of the Chief Technical Advisor, the Intern will work in close collaboration with Programme Specialists, IGAD Technical Experts and the Programme Assistant to provide support in the implementation of project activities and in developing project communication products and maintaining and updating ICPAC/UNDP social media platforms, as well as, perform any other duties that may be assigned.
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Support the Programme Assistant in the provision of technical and administrative support and to participate in project activities;
- Assisting the project team in research and drafting of tasks, in particular with regard to policy briefs, blog posts and reporting.
- Identify and analyze new and emerging trends and areas on resilience, DRM, and conflict prevention and peace-building.
- Support communication and advocacy efforts and maintain relationships with partners, affiliated institutions, and existing and potential new members;
- Assist with knowledge management through support in web management, maintenance and updating of social media platforms;
- Provide editing support, synthesize information and package project reports, bulletins, etc. in accordance with formats and requirements;
- Develop communication materials (i.e. newsletters, reports, bulletins, etc.) using advance graphic design and layout for the project, ICPAC/IGAD, and UNDP;
- Facilitate dissemination of communication materials and products through various media channels;
- Provide administrative and events management support to the project team and activities;
- Perform other duties and tasks as may be assigned.
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Treats all people fairly without favoritism.
- Strong organizational and research skills
- Excellent skills in the usage of computer software packages
- Excellent critical reasoning and problem solving skills.
Development and Operational Effectiveness;
- Demonstrates strong oral and written communication skills;
- Builds strong relationships with clients and external actors;
- Remains calm, in control and good humored even under pressure;
- High degree of self-motivation and initiative;
- Willingness to learn and apply new analytical approaches.
How to Apply
CLICK HERE to apply online
Application Deadline: 14-Feb-17 (Midnight New York, USA)