The Research Assistant will conduct the project activities efficiently and timely to generate transgenic plants, characterize them for transgene integration and expression and evaluate them for the disease resistant trait.
- Maintenance and multiplication of tissue culture and transgenic banana plants
- Generation of transgenic banana plants
- Molecular characterization of transgenic plants
- Phenotyping of transgenic plants for disease resistance
- Maintenance of bacterial cultures
- Record keeping and data analysis
- Any other duties assigned
- Degree in Biotechnology, Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, Plant Science or relevant field.
- Experience in plant tissue culture, genetic transformation and molecular characterization of transgenic plants
- Able to cope with heavy intermittent workloads extending beyond office hours and during weekends
- Computer literacy, data organization and statistical analysis skills
- Very good interpersonal and communication skills.
Terms of appointment: This is a Nationally Recruited Staff (NRS) position based at ILRI’s Nairobi campus. It is open to Kenyan nationals only. The position is for a fixed term period up to 31 August, 2018
Job level and salary: This position is job level 2A, ILRI offers a competitive salary and benefits package which includes; pension, medical and other insurances for ILRI’s Nationally Recruited Staff.
How to apply: Applicants should send a cover letter and CV expressing their interest in the position, what they can bring to the job and the names and addresses (including telephone and email) of three referees who are knowledgeable about the candidate’s professional qualifications and work experience to the Director, People and Organizational Development by clicking on the “Apply Now” tab above before 28 February, 2017.
The position title and reference number RA/IITA /02/17 should be clearly marked on the subject line of the cover letter.
We thank all applicants for their interest in working for ILRI. Due to the volume of applications, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
ILRI does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing or training). ILRI also does not concern itself with information on applicants’ bank accounts.