International Rescue Committee (IRC)
Information Management and Monitoring & Evaluation Officer
Employee Type: Regular
Employee Category: Full Time
Background: The International Rescue Committee (IRC), one of the world’s largest humanitarian agencies, provides relief, rehabilitation and post-conflict reconstruction support to victims of natural disaster, oppression and violent conflict in 42 countries.
Since 1992, the IRC has provided life-saving services to refugees and vulnerable local communities in Kenya. In Kenya, the IRC implements programs in the areas of integrated primary health care (including nutrition and HIV/AIDS); economic recovery and livelihoods; protection of rights; and women’s protection and empowerment in refugees camps as well as northern Kenya and Nairobi.
Through its Economic Recovery and Development (ERD) unit, the IRC is helping vulnerable refugees and host community members in Nairobi build their income and assets.
The program will work closely with local partners and private sector actors to offer employment and employability support, training and business counseling and start-up capital through livelihoods centers and mobile services.
Market based principles and coordination with the private sector will be mainstreamed throughout approaches to ensure the most effective outcomes on employment, and client feedback and protection based needs will be deeply incorporated to ensure holistic services.
IRC is focused on encouraging the ability to become self-sufficient, particularly where livelihoods are concerned, for survivors of SGBV, youth, refugees preparing for repatriation, and other marginalized groups.
IRC will also focus on economic empowerment approaches that foster gender equity and equality given that women and girls are even more vulnerable in situations of crisis and where marginalization happens.
The ideal candidate will have at least 2 years of experience in data collection and analysis and information management systems, preferably within a non-profit or community engagement context.
The objective of the position is to ensure the quality and consistency of program data collection and systems used for data analysis, and help program management and staff conduct analysis for program use.
Scope of Work: The Officer will work closely with all program staff to ensure the quality and consistency of program data collection, manage the customer relationship management (CRM) and conduct data analysis to inform program decision making.
S/he will be the program data focal point and work with both Livelihoods Resource Center (LRC) staff on mobile data collection via tablets and with program and sector management to conduct analysis of data for reporting, implementation and learning.
This role will also provide ongoing technical support and training to program staff who are conducting mobile data collection, data analysis, and client management (among other use cases).
Data Collection and Analysis
- Support data gathering and collection activities, to include:
- Creation of electronic surveys using open source tools like ODK Collect
- Staff training on use of mobile data collection tablets and surveying
- Assisting center staff in approaches to surveying clients at the center and also remotely, providing guidance and feedback on survey data collection.
- Support survey development to respond to program monitoring, reporting and learning needs, monitor the quality of data collection, and provide additional guidance to staff after reviewing collected data.
- Run system based reports to provide program staff and management with updated program statistics on clients registered and by activity that are disaggregated by sex, age, nationality and location.
- Manage the CommCare application used for program data storage and analysis, suggesting needed modifications and updates with the support of the ERD Technical Unit and management
- Train program and center staff on CommCare and entering and using system data
- Troubleshoot any issues with data uploads and synching, and work with program staff to ensure high quality survey data and understanding of data collection procedures
- Coordinate with Information Technology staff as needed on system requirements and needs
Program Monitoring & Reporting
- Coordinate closely with program staff and management on targeting, data collection, data systems and information management
- Work with LRC Center Manager on baseline, interim and endline assessments to ensure high quality data collection.
- Run reports and contribute analysis as directed by ERD management to meet reporting and program monitoring requirements.
- Participate actively in the enforcement of quality assurance, quality control and quality improvement measures for all program interventions
- Support fellow team members in capturing best practices for learning and dissemination
- Contribute to the program Monitoring and Evaluation plan and provide updates to staff and management on progress against the plan.
- Take lead on data analysis and action planning, and review trends to inform adjustments to project implementation
Human Resources Management
- Directly supervise incentive staff workers supporting data collection and analysis.
- Set specific goals and expectations and provide regular, positive and constructive feedback to direct reports
- Maintain open and professional relations with team members, promoting a strong team spirit and providing oversight and guidance to enable staff to successfully perform in their positions
- Other duties as assigned by the supervisor to enable and develop IRC programs
- Bachelor degree in information science, computer engineering, research, program management or similar field
- At least two years of experience managing data collection and analysis, with experience with or concrete knowledge of open source tools such as ODK collect, KoBo Toolbox, platforms such as Ona and customer relationship management (CRM) software such as CommCare or other similar platforms.
- Experience training staff on the use of technologies including translating technical terms into common language.
- Demonstrated experience and capacity in reporting, monitoring and evaluation, and using technology and mobile data collection to improve approaches.
- Experience in humanitarian, non-profit or community engagement sectors preferred
- Strong ability to work independently, organize work, meet deadlines, maintain composure, prioritize work under pressure, coordinate multiple tasks and maintain attention to detail
- Excellent interpersonal and problem-solving skills, creativity and flexibility
- Personal qualities: promotes collaboration and coordination within and across teams, comfortable in a multi-cultural environment, extremely flexible and adaptable, ability to contribute across multiple activities and departments.
- Fluency in English required
Work Environment: The position will be based in IRC Kenya’s Livelihoods Resource Center (LRC) in the Eastleigh area, with frequent time in the main Nairobi office and other field sites in Nairobi opening within the next two years.
Kenyan nationals are encouraged to apply.
International allowances are not available for this position.
Salary and employee benefits are compliant to the Kenyan NGO Sector.
IRC leading the way from harm to home.
CLICK HERE to apply online
IRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. IRC considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
If you need assistance in the application or hiring process to accommodate a disability, you may request an accommodation at any time. Please contact Talent Acquisitions at IRC.Recruitment@rescue.org. As required by law, the IRC will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified applicants and employees with a known disability.
Disclaimer: Please take note that International Rescue Committee (IRC) does not ask for any fees in connection with its recruitment processes. In the event that you receive any request for payment of any sort, please get in touch with us on Tel: +(254-020) 2727730, Email: IRCKenya@rescue.org or report to the nearest police.