Vacancy: Chief Executive Officer (CEO)
KIFFWA (Kenya Innovative Finance Facility for Water) is a Kenya-based co-developer of water initiatives in Kenya.
Designed and implemented by the Netherlands Water Partnership’s Appropriate Finance team and the Embassy of the Kingdom of the Netherlands (EKN), we provide early stage capital, finance expertise and engineering support to support the creation of viable commercial water investment opportunities and attract (private) providers of finance.
Focusing on medium ticket size projects of between USD 5 and 50 million, we seek to be revolving by recouping our investments in projects.
Our first initiative is developing the Kenya Pooled Water Fund (KPFW) and its pipeline of public water service providers (WSPs) that provide WSPs access to long tenor local currency finance by unlocking the local capital market in Kenya for their drinking water and sanitation infrastructure projects.
EKN envisages a public-investor role in the water sector that will remain sustainable after phasing out aid support in Kenya in 2020.
The Chief Executive Officer will report to the Board of Directors and will play a key role in building the organisation to become the go-to commercial water projects financier in Kenya.
You will be expected to source viable projects, evaluate and present to an Investment Committee, structure, negotiate, manage and exit, ensuring maximisation of returns and secure high developmental impact.
In particular, you will have the following responsibilities:
You will be expected to take charge of the organisation under the guidance of Board of Directors including:
- Preparation of annual plans and budgets
- Financial management and reporting
- Development of processes, systems and procedures for the Kenya operations
- Ensuring compliance with the regulatory and internal audit standards, etc.
- Representation duties as necessary e.g. in technical working groups
- People management including recruitment, training & development, performance management and discipline
Projects origination, management and exit
Establish project flow and develop business contacts
Manage project progress from inception to exit, against agreed timelines as a team member.
This will entail:
- Evaluating project proposals for their viability and fit to the KIFFWA investment policy
- Preparing and presenting the proposals to the Investment Committee
- Analysing projects from a financial, operational, and sector needs perspective and create valuation models to support transactions; this may include the use of third party service providers
- Executing field work to support the due diligence processes
- Managing the commitment and disbursement procedures
- Maintaining up to date information on project status
- Managing the performance of the project portfolio i.e. monitoring investments, including the required reporting (valuations etc.) and recommending any delegated authority during investment life.
This position will suit a self-driven individual with an entrepreneurial spirit who thrives in start-up environments where you get the opportunity to develop new systems, processes and procedures.
You will also have:
- A masters degree in business and or finance and at least 10 years’ experience, 5 of which should be in the investment space.