Job Framework: In Their Hands Project Director
Reporting to: Country Director, MSK (with dotted line to Country Directors of Well Told Story and Triggerise)
Probationary Period: 3 months
Marie Stopes Kenya, in partnership with Well Told Story and Triggerise, is implementing a major donor funded project to deliver access to Family Planning and Safe Abortion services to young women under the age of 20.
This project is a high profile, global flagship program for Marie Stopes International and MSK is seeking an extremely dynamic, charismatic, passionate Project Director to coordinate the three project partners to deliver the program.
They will be the face of the project externally, representing the project to the donor, the Kenyan government and to partners. They will set strategic vision for the programme, manage the workplan and oversee the achievement of deliverables.
Marie Stopes Kenya (MSK) is a marketing-focused, results-oriented social enterprise, which uses modern management and marketing techniques to provide family planning and reproductive healthcare. MSK is part of the global network that is Marie Stopes International (MSI).
MSK subscribes to the MSI goal and mission, which is to prevent unwanted births and to ensure the individual’s right to Children by Choice not Chance.
It is a role requirement that the job holder must fully comply with, promote and live MSI CORE VALUES:
mission driven, customer focused, results orientated, pioneering, sustainable and people centered
The Project Director will lead and manage the In their Hands Project.
Key responsibilities include:
- Lead delivery of a major, $14 million USD youth programme across three partner organizations.
- Provide key strategic leadership in the design of programme interventions and in the delivery of interventions as per the work-plan. Learn quickly from interventions that are failing and re-strategize to carry the programme forward. Problem solve and re-strategize around issues arising.
- Represent the consortium externally, including in government meetings and internationally as required. Advocate for project priorities.
- Present and discuss regularly with the relevant Country Directors on progress against targets, and achievement of activity plans.
- Conduct key review meetings with the three organization’s Country Directors and donor. Analyse evidence, present on progress and guide strategy development.
- Participate in review of budget variance reports and in financial forecasting exercises.
- Interface with donor and prepare for donor visits.
- Work with the partner organizations to produce high quality donor reports.
- Manage external consultants, design agencies and subcontractors as needed.
Key Result Areas
- Project targets achieved
- Work plan approved and delivered on time
- 2016 budget fully spent
- Positive donor feedback
- Donor reports submitted on time and of high quality
Drive the strategic vision of the programme
- Maintain up to date knowledge about developments in the sector, especially pertaining to youth SRH
- Work with the project partners to implement innovative initiatives, trouble shoot operational issues and promptly address underperformance
- Advocate for youth and adolescent SRH at external forums, nationally and internationally
- Critically evaluate interventions for youth friendly-ness, utilising partner’s internal data and external literature
- Review study protocols, project documents and proposals to integrate the needs of youth
- Participate in New Business Development to mobilize resources for youth focused initiatives
Key Result Areas
- ITH targets achieved
- MSK’s policy priorities advanced
- Additional resources mobilized for Youth programming
Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree (graduate degree preferred) in health, communications or business related field with minimum 8 years’ experience.
- Experience in directly managing large donor grants or a multimillion dollar grant portfolio.
- Experience in designing and implementing youth activities
- Experience in dynamic, fast paced problem solving and turning around struggling initiatives
- Experience managing external contractors and consultants
- Experience as an advocate on youth issues, either at a policy level or within an organization
- Experience as a line manager including performance management
- Experience in financial forecasting and management and budget development
- Experience in writing donor reports for large grants, including narrative and results matrices
- Exceptional communicator who is able to lead and guide program staff in three organizations towards project goals.
- Ability to guide and influence and forge close collaboration between the three Country Directors to meet project deliverables.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills
- Excellent donor communications skills
- Ability to design, implement and monitor effective project cycle management and monitoring and evaluation best practice
- Forceful, resilient personality
- Confident and articulate presenter to high level and international audiences
- Analytical ability and a creative thinker
- Strong IT skills, including Microsoft Office package
- Understanding of, and ability to write and edit donor proposals and reports
- Fluency in both written and spoken English, with exceptional writing and presentation skills
- Clear and excellent understanding of the different donor policy requirements having worked in several donor funded programs.
- Professional experience in Monitoring and Evaluation ( Program Monitoring and Evaluation; qualitative and quantitative research methods; M&E planning; carrying out surveys and impact evaluations);
- Strong competency in the design and implementation of health research programs.
- Strong competency in conceptualizing and designing M&E policies and strategic frameworks for Reproductive Health.
- Wide experience in Community Health (Sexual Reproductive Health and Family Planning)
- Strong skills in Project Cycle Management and planning; developing Monitoring and Evaluation systems (Highly skilled in the formulation, design, development, coordination and implementation of participatory
- Monitoring and Evaluation frameworks and research)
- Excellent knowledge in advanced statistics and research methodologies. This includes skills in sampling techniques and methodologies, interpretation of statistical figures, professional use of computer software for statistical analysis and other relevant applications (such as SPSS, Epi-Info, Epi-Data and spreadsheets among others).
- Communication and Information dissemination (Writing, editing and appropriate dissemination of reports, newsletter and brochures, documentation of case studies, success stories and best practices; Identification of key partners, policy makers, individuals and audiences; Workshop organization, facilitation and presentation skills; Proposal writing).
- Strong skills in training the program staff in results-oriented monitoring and evaluation.