Job Framework: In Their Hands Project Officer
Probationary Period: 3 months
Reporting to: Senior Coordinator, youth
Marie Stopes Kenya is implementing a major donor funded project to deliver access to Family Planning services (with a focus on long acting, reversible methods) to young women under the age of 19.
This project is a high profile, global flagship program for Marie Stopes International and MSK is seeking a dynamic and effective project officer to manage MSK’s portion of the grant.
The project officer will be responsible for the implementation of a complex and ambitious work plan.
Marie Stopes Kenya (MSK) is a marketing-focused, results-oriented social enterprise, which uses modern management and marketing techniques to provide family planning and reproductive healthcare.
MSK is part of the global network that is Marie Stopes International (MSI).
MSK subscribes to the MSI goal and mission, which is to prevent unwanted births and to ensure the individual’s right to Children by Choice not Chance.
It is a role requirement that the job holder must fully comply with, promote and live MSI CORE VALUES: mission driven, customer focused, results orientated, pioneering, sustainable & people centered
Implement the In Their Hands Project Activities
Under the leadership of the Senior Coordinator: Youth and the In Their Hands Project Director, ensure MSK’s delivery of a major, multimillion GBP youth programme across all of its service channels as follows:
1. Project Management
- Monitor and track project progress including budgets in a timely manner and implement corrective actions
- Assist in preparation of youth school based training materials and manuals and help to conduct necessary training and workshops for teachers and students as and when required in the process of implementation of the projects.
- Assist in design of project activities
2. Planning and Implementation
- Prepare work plans and operation plans for various elements/ components of the project on half yearly basis and an annual basis
- Organize youth awareness events in conjunction with Marketing Department
- Plan School based interventions with the support of consortium members under the leadership of Ministry of Education officials
- Plan and implement youth awareness events
- Interface with consortium partners and advocate for MSK’s priorities
- Undertake regular visits to the field to supervise school based interventions.
- Work closely with MSK regional teams to ensure donor targets are on the track and offer advice and support on field implementation
4. Monitoring, documentation and reporting
- Promote and undertake the documentation of good practices and synthesis of lessons learned, and ensure that these are reflected in improved training and management tools
- Maintain a database of crucial project documents which track project progress.
- Contribute to all aspects of the procurement process including drafting Terms of Reference
- Track and report project results
- Develop project reports
- Represent MSK at the County, national and International fora as required KPIs
- Project targets achieved
- Work plan approved and delivered on time
- 2016 budget fully spent
- Positive donor feedback
- Donor reports submitted on time and of high quality
- MSK reaches its targets on High Impact CYPs and clients under age 19
- MSK’s policy priorities advanced
- Additional resources mobilized for Youth programming
Skills and Experience
- Educated to Degree level
- Experience in implementing donor projects
- Experience in designing and implementing youth activities
- Experience in dynamic, fast paced problem solving and turning around struggling initiatives
- Experience managing external contractors and consultants
- Experience as an advocate on youth issues, either at a policy level or within an organization
- Experience in Marie Stopes Systems and processes (desirable)
- Experience in reproductive health programming (desirable)
- Strong IT skills, including Microsoft Office package
- Ability to design, implement and monitor effective project cycle management and monitoring and evaluation best practice
- Confident presenter to high level faura
- Analytical ability and a creative thinker
- Understanding of, and ability to write and edit donor proposals and reports
- Fluency in both written and spoken English, with exceptional writing and presentation skills
- Ability to work well with others in a team environment
- Ability to manage a very heavy and fluctuating workload
Attitude / Motivation:
- Demonstrates MSK team member behaviours.
- Pro MSI philosophy of social enterprise and cost recovery
How to Apply
Applications quoting the position title with detailed CV, with contact details of 3 referees including their email addresses (1 of which should be your immediate supervisor, 1 former supervisor and 1 any other but not a relative) should be submitted to: email@example.com on or before 13th March 2017.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
NB: Please clearly indicate in the subject line as “ITH Project Officer”