Our client an NGO based in Nairobi is seeking to recruit a Community Oral Health Officer who meets the below qualifications:
1. Job Summary: The position is responsible for providing Professional Dental Treatment and Hygiene to prevent dental decay by examining, treating, cleaning patients’ teeth and providing education to patients on how to care effectively for their teeth and gums, and the effects of diet on oral health.
2. Key Responsibilities
a. Support the implementation of the strategic plan aspects on Health Services.
b. Lead and direct the implementation Community Oral Health activities.
c. Ensure prudent management and use resources allocated for implementation of Community Oral Health activities.
Delivery of Dental Services
a. Examine patients’ teeth and mouth.
b. Assess dental condition and needs of patients using patient screening and monitoring
c. Analyze x-rays and evaluate dental needs as necessary including medical history review and dental charting.
d. Take, develop and mount radiographs as well as trace radiographs required for
e. Undertake general treatment and care for teeth and tissue problems using specified equipment and tools and established dental hygienist procedures.
f. Clean teeth using brushes, and polishers to remove plaque and stains ensuring that sterile
conditions are maintained
g. Fill in cavities, rebuild broken teeth, replace missing teeth, and remove unnecessary or
severely damaged teeth.
h. Treat and help to prevent gum disease.
i. Provide instruction on dental care and write prescriptions for patients
j. Make impressions of patients’ teeth for study casts
k. Document patient dental history and/or chief complaints and/or observations
l. Document lab procedures and ensure follow up on results.
m. Supervise staff and clinic processes
n. Recommend and ensure cost effective buying of equipment and supplies and maintain
proper bookkeeping of the same.
o. Keep up-to-date with new developments within the profession maintaining patient
Awareness on Oral Health
a. Plan treatment and health promotion programs.
Health Quality Controls and Assurance
a. Ensure that established procedures are adhered to in order to maintain quality assurance in delivery of oral health services.
b. Ensure adherence to regulations for dental clinics.
a. Ensure all procedures are correctly billed to capture revenue.
b. Maintain stock control procedures for the dental services to ensure accountability
c. Prepare and submit reports on community oral health services and activities in a timely manner.
Other Duties and Responsibilities
a. Participate in other programs and activities organized by the organisation such as medical camps, sports extravaganzas etc.
b. Carry out any other duties and responsibilities which may be assigned by the
management from time to time.
3. Knowledge, Skills and Abilities (The knowledge, skills and abilities may be acquired through a combination of formal schooling, self-education and prior experience or on-the-job-training).
a. Level of Education:
- KCSE mean grade B-.
b. Specialized Training/Professional Qualifications:
- Diploma in Oral health
c. Competencies/Abilities/Skills Required:
- Must have good eye sight
- Be of mature, friendly, confident and caring nature
- Possess appropriate personal characteristics such as effective Patient Care
- Ability to pay attention to detail and report accurately.
- Computer /internet knowledge is critical
- Must be diligent, honest and responsible person with self discipline.
- Demonstrate good leadership skills with the ability to work under no supervision.
- Good spoken and written English and Kiswahili.
- Current knowledge on Orphan and Vulnerable Children care and best practices
- A love for community and a heart to serve are critical for this position
d. Job experience
- At least three years work experience in a busy Dental clinic
If you meet the above qualifications, kindly send your CV to email@example.com by 17th February 2017.
Please indicate the position applying for on the subject.