Norwegian Refugee Council
ICLA Project Assistants – Legal
Kenyan Nationals Only
Location: Dadaab, Kenya
Ref. nr.: 3337933292
Number of positions: 5
Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) has been present in Somalia since early 2004 and has since expanded its Horn of Africa Programme to Kenya in 2006 and to Ethiopia in 2011.
Since 2004, the Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) has demonstrated a regional competence and expertise in working with displaced populations.
NRC has mainly focused on Somalis who are displaced by the ongoing conflict and more recently by the drought and famine.
NRC offers a comprehensive response for Refugees, returnees and IDPs of high need, addressing their food security, livelihood, shelter, education, ICLA, and water, hygiene and sanitation needs and also responding to emergencies through NRC’s five core competences; Shelter, Education, Food Security and Livelihoods, WASH and Information, Counselling and Legal Assistance (ICLA).
NRC’s Horn of Africa operation comprises of large-scale multi-country humanitarian and early recovery interventions spread across eight countries (Kenya, Somalia, Ethiopia, Djibouti, and Yemen), and most recently Eritrea, Uganda and South Sudan.
NRC’s overall strategy in the region is to ensure a greater number of vulnerable people in hard to reach areas get access to humanitarian assistance, become resilient to future disasters and find durable solution.
The regional office is based in Nairobi and works with country programmes to ensure standardisation of programmatic and operational approaches, promote multi country programming and ensuring quality and coordination.
The purpose of the assistant positions are to support the day-to-day implementation of Information, Counselling and Legal Assistance (ICLA) projects in Dadaab Refugee camps.
The ICLA Project Assistants (Legal) are responsible for supporting the provision of counselling and legal assistance services to refugees.
The Project Assistants will also support provision of information and outreach services and the roll out of identified technical training opportunities in line with ICLA’s thematic focus areas.
The ICLA project Assistants (Legal) reports to ICLA Project Officer (Legal).
- Ensure that project activities are implemented in accordance with project agreements
- Prepare and develop status reports as required by management
- Ensure proper filing of documents
- Assess, promote and document ideas for technical improvement and further program development options
- Ensure that projects target beneficiaries most in need, and explore and assess new and better ways to assist.
- Promote the rights of refugees/returnees in line with advocacy strategy
- Adherence to NRC Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) and guidelines in relation to counselling, legal assistance and referral activities.
- Provision of direct counseling and legal assistance services by ICLA in Dadaab Refugee camps and coordination with legal aid partners on complementary services.
- Supporting the provision of internal referrals from other ICLA/NRC core competencies for refugees in need of counselling and legal assistance services.
- Preparation of client intake forms for counselling and legal assistance services and ensure confidentiality of client data
- Regular liaison with legal partners/legal aid providers on case management for ICLA beneficiaries.
- Preparation of referral forms for referrals to external partners and ICLA Somalia.
- Support in conducting of awareness raising, capacity building and training activities for communities, government officials and NGOs on ICLA thematic areas including housing, land and property rights and collaborative dispute resolution
- Prepare and compile weekly, monthly and mid and end term reports.
- Supervise relevant NRC community staff supporting project activities.
- Participate in ICLA continuous assessments, mapping and investigation and supervise data collection during ICLA surveys and assessments
- Any other tasks as assigned by supervisor
- University degree in law, political science, social science or other relevant discipline. Diploma with experience will be considered.
- Minimum 3 years humanitarian experience with refugees/internally displaced persons (IDPs) at field level with an NGO or other international organization.
Education field: Law
Education level: College / University, Bachelor’s degree
- Experience from working within technical expertise area in a humanitarian/recovery context
- Previous experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
- Good knowledge of written and spoken English
- Strong communication, interpersonal, analytical and negotiation skills.
- Proven skills in report writing
- Advanced computer skills; Word, Excel, Power point,
Duty station: Dadaab
Contract period is up to May 2017 with possibility of extension.
Salary/benefits: According to NRC’s general directions, The candidate will observe NRC’s code of conduct and working hours for the NRC Office in Dadaab
- Location: Kenya
- Industry: Emergency Relief
- Special field: Information, Counselling & Legal Assistance
- Role: Assistant
How to Apply
Candidates should apply on line by going through www.nrc.no.
Email and paper applications will not be considered
Deadline for application: 17/02/2017