Norwegian Refugee Council
ICLA Project Officer (Community Mobilisation)
Kenyan Nationals Only
Location: Dadaab, Kenya
Ref. No: 3337934832
Number of positions: 1
Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) has been present in Somalia since early 2004 and has since expanded its Horn of Africa Programme to Kenya in 2006 and to Ethiopia in 2011.
Since 2004, the Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) has demonstrated a regional competence and expertise in working with displaced populations.
NRC has mainly focused on Somalis who are displaced by the ongoing conflict and more recently by the drought and famine.
NRC offers a comprehensive response for Refugees, returnees and IDPs of high need, addressing their food security, livelihood, shelter, education, ICLA, and water, hygiene and sanitation needs and also responding to emergencies through NRC’s five core competences; Shelter, Education, Food Security and Livelihoods, WASH and Information, Counselling and Legal Assistance (ICLA).
NRC’s Horn of Africa operation comprises of large-scale multi-country humanitarian and early recovery interventions spread across eight countries (Kenya, Somalia, Ethiopia, Djibouti, and Yemen), and most recently Eritrea, Uganda and South Sudan.
NRC’s overall strategy in the region is to ensure a greater number of vulnerable people in hard to reach areas get access to humanitarian assistance, become resilient to future disasters and find durable solution.
The regional office is based in Nairobi and works with country programmes to ensure standardisation of programmatic and operational approaches, promote multi country programming and ensuring quality and coordination.
The ICLA Community Mobilisation Officer is responsible for supporting NRC’s ICLA work in Dadaab including in the context of the voluntary repatriation of Somali refugees.
The Project Officer (Community Mobilisation) will provide day-to-day support and oversight of ICLA staff’s activities in the context of community outreach including group information sessions, mass information campaigns and development and dissemination of relevant information, education and communication (IEC) materials.
The Officer will coordinate with relevant partners in the development of ICLA’s information and community outreach approach and identify new areas and opportunities for NRC engagement in relation to the provision of information.
The Officer will represent NRC at relevant community mobilisation working groups/other coordination forums. The Officer with support of the ICLA Project Coordinator will identify and conduct relevant technical training/awareness raising opportunities in Dadaab.
The ICLA Project Officer (Community Mobilisation) will report to ICLA Project Coordinator.
- Ensure compliance with NRC policies, guidelines and standards
- Ensure compliance with ICLA core competency strategy, tools, handbooks, guidelines and standards
- Responsible for implementation of relevant technical activities in the ICLA project in Dadaab
- Responsible for tracking of financial expenditures of the project
- Provide technical support and capacity building towards project staff
- Ensure relevant data collection and produce reports and analysis as required
- Assess, promote and document ideas for technical improvement and further program development options
- Represent NRC in relevant coordination forums and build relationships with key stakeholders
- Management and oversight of ICLA community outreach approach in line with project agreements.
- Ensure proper budget monitoring and efficient utilization of funds.
- Development of Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) and relevant guidelines for implementation of NRC group information sessions and mass communication activities.
- Develop and continuously update relevant IEC materials.
- Implement and develop M&E activities and ensure timely reporting of relevant activities in line with NRC guidelines.
- Coordinate with relevant partners for the development of ICLA’s information and community outreach approach. Represent NRC at relevant community mobilization working group and other coordination forums.
- Develop and conduct relevant technical training/awareness opportunities with local community and key stakeholders.
- Supervise, evaluate and appraise the Project Assistant(s), providing technical guidance when needed.
- Assist in strategic review and identification of other relevant ICLA activities.
- Contribute to the development of NRC’s Country strategy, action plan and activities plan and priorities in the ICLA sector.
- Perform any other relevant tasks as assigned by the supervisor.
- University degree in law, political science, social science or other relevant discipline. Diploma with experience will be considered.
- Minimum 5 years humanitarian experience with refugees/internally displaced persons (IDPs) at field level with an NGO or other international organization.
- Knowledge of international refugee law and national law applicable to refugees
- Knowledge of SPHERE standards and durable solutions
- Political science
- Social science
- College / University, Bachelor’s degree
- Experience from working as a Project Officer in a humanitarian/recovery context
- Previous experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
- Strong communication, analytical and negotiation skills.
- Interpersonal skills and ability to work with minimal supervision
- Proven skills in report writing
- Advanced computer skills; Word, Excel, Power point
- Knowledge of English. Knowledge of Somali is an asset
Duty station: Dadaab
Contract period is up to May 2017 with possibility of extension.
Salary/benefits: According to NRC’s general directions, The candidate will observe NRC’s code of conduct and working hours for the NRC Office in Dadaab
Industry: Emergency Relief
Special field: Information, Counselling & Legal Assistance
Role: Middle / line manager
How to Apply
Candidates should apply on line by going through www.nrc.no.
Email and paper applications will not be considered
Deadline for application: 17/02/2017