Norwegian Refugee Council
Consultancy: Joint Education Needs Assessment (JENA) in refugee camps in North Western Tanzania
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people.
NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, education, emergency food security, legal assistance, and water,sanitation and hygiene sectors.
The Norwegian Refugee Council has approximately 5000 committed and competent employees involved in projects across four continents.
In addition, NRC runs one of the world’s largest standby rosters -NORCAP, with 650 professionals, ready to be deployed on 72 hours notice when a crisis occurs
Title: JENA Refugee Education Assessment Consultant
Duty Station: Kibondo (Mtendeli, Nduta, Nyarugusu camps)
Reporting To: JENA WG
Duration: 2 Months
Ref. No: 3338824620
Purpose: The purpose of this consultancy is to provide support to the joint comprehensive education assessment work group (JENA WG) in Kigoma region Tanzania.
Background: During the last 20 years many assessments have been done involving both Congolese and Burundian refugees.
All have pointed out education as an underserved sector. To get a comprehensive understanding of the situation of education in Mtendeli, Nduta and Nyarugusu camps all education partners in the area decided to implement a joint comprehensive needs assessment (JENA).
Objectives: The overall objective for the consultant is to support the JENA WG with development of a responsive data collection and an overall analysis design as well as final analysis and presentation of the collected data.
The findings will be presented in a comprehensive report, both in hard- and soft copy together with PPT presentation.
The specific objectives and work scope are:
- Development and execution of the assessment design
- Provide guidance and training to the field assessment team
- To ensure responsiveness of data collection tools to the research questions
- Provide orientation and work closely with the data entry officer to ensure integrity of the data collected
- Ensure the data collection process, both primary and secondary, analysis and presentation is consistent with conventional social science practices
- Implement validation of the data collection tool
- Supervise the data collection in the field
- Analyse data collected
- Write the final JENA report
Progress plan with milestones and delivery dates
Experience and Qualifications
The refugee education assessment consultant must have the following appropriate experience and qualifications:
- Advanced degree from a university in education or other related field.
- Knowledge and a minimum of three years’ work experience in educational research (in sampling, data collection instrument design, analysis of qualitative and quantitative data and report writing).
- Proven knowledge and work experience in the field of education. Experience in alternative basic education would be advantageous.
- Computer skills (word processing, spreadsheets, statistical analysis software, internet research, etc).
- Strong reporting skills in English and Swahili and a big advantage with language skills in French and Kirundi
- Industry: Emergency Relief
- Special field: Consulting
- Role: Consultant
How to Apply:
Please visit www.nrc.no, go to vacancies and upload your CVs and proposals and any other documentations regarding this consultancy position.
Please note that all the proposals will be reviewed continuously during the application period.
Deadline for application: 14/02/2017