Norwegian Refugee Council
Education Project Officer (Kenyan Nationals Only)
Ref. No: 3343723352
Number of positions: 1
Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) has been present in Somalia since early 2004 and has since expanded its Horn of Africa Programme to Kenya in 2006 and to Ethiopia in 2011.
Since 2004, the Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) has demonstrated a regional competence and expertise in working with displaced populations.
The Regional Office is based in Nairobi, Kenya with offices and operations in Somalia (Puntland, Somaliland and Mogadishu), Kenya (Dadaab and Kakuma ), Ethiopia (Addis Ababa, Dolo Ado, Shire,Gambella and Asosa), South Sudan (Juba, Awil, Alek and Aweril) and Yemen (Sa’naa and Aden).
The NRC Horn of Africa & Yemen mission is an expanding programme. NRC started its operations in Kenya in the refugee camps in Dadaab in February 2007.
NRC has WASH, Shelter, Education, Food Security and Livelihood and Information Counselling and Legal Assistant programmes implemented in the refugee camps in Dadaab.
NRC is seeking to recruit Education Project Officer.
The Project Officer is responsible in coordinating day to day implementation of the Education Project in Dadaab operation.
The Education Project Officer report to the Education Project Coordinator – Dadaab.
- Adherence to NRC policies, guidance and procedures
- Develop training programmes and teaching/learning materials with particular emphasis on participatory methodologies
- Implement and monitor project activities to ensure that they are consistent with plans, budget lines and expected outputs within NRC’s Project strategy and other standards
- Ensure timely procurement, delivery and distribution of training tools, equipment and educational materials
- Liaise with the World Food Program (WFP) in Dadaab and Hagadera on collection of Food for Training (FFT), food monitoring and preparation of regular FFT Reports as required.
- Provide leadership in the recruitment of learners, academic teachers and Instructors for vocational skills training
- Oversee design of learner assessments/tests, progress tracking, as well as summative evaluations
- Supervise education project teachers and provide mentorship and on the job training as required to increase the capacity of the team in implementing Education Programme activities
- Oversee the implementation of the prescribed curriculum in the education centers and ensure quality learning is achieved.
- Develop strong monitoring and follow up mechanism to ensure good attendance and performance by learners and mitigate drop out of learners
- Appraise national teachers and centre supervisors in line with NRCs HR policy, as well as monitor their attendance and general performance
- Ensure quality controls and assurance in the implementation of education programme activities in the center’s
- Ensure prudent management and use of resources in the centers.
- Provide post graduate support to YEP learners, including timely procurement of startup kits, business skills trainings and mentorship programs.
- A degree in education is the preferred qualification. A social science degree in a related discipline would also be considered.
- Proven training in curriculum development and implementation, and educational administration and training.
- Proven academic or on-job training and understanding of the Project Cycle model in managing humanitarian assistance.
- Experience from working as Education Project Officer in a humanitarian/recovery context
- Previous experience from working in complex and volatile areas
- At least 3 years experience in supervising Education Programmes in emergency and humanitarian setting.
- Experience gained within an international humanitarian NGO/Ministry of Education will be an added advantage.
- Relevant experience in Education support Livelihoods programs and youth IGA management’s skills.
- Must be registered by the Teachers Service Commission or relevant professional body.
- P1 certificate in education is an added advantage
- Contextual understanding of education programming in Arid and Semi-Arid lands
Education field: Education
Education level: College / University, Bachelor’s degree
- Strong analytical, administration and documentation skills in the management of educational institutions or programs consisting of Youth and primary education.
- Experience in proposal and report writing and excellent computer skills.
- Special interest, understanding, sensitivity and proven skills in working with the disadvantaged Youth, children and especially girls.
- Proven commitment and passion in inspiring disadvantaged children to achieve their full potential in education and ability to inspire others with the commitment
- Good communication skills and Knowledge of the local language (Somali) – if different than English
- Project implementation supervisory skills
- Proficiency in Report Writing
- Ability to resolve individual and group conflicts
- Ability to work with minimum supervision and deliver on deadlines
Duty station: Dadaab
Contract period is up to December 2017.
Salary / benefits: According to NRC’s general directions, The candidate will observe NRC’s code of conduct and working hours for the NRC Office in Dadaab.
How to Apply
Candidates should apply on line by going through www.nrc.no.
- Location: Kenya
- Industry: Emergency Relief
- Special field: Education / Training
- Role: Middle / line manager
Email and paper applications will not be considered
Deadline for application: 24/02/2017