Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC)
ICLA Project Officer (Legal) – (Kenyan Nationals Only)
Ref. nr.: 3332416308
Number of positions: 2
Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) has been present in Somalia since early 2004 and has since expanded its Horn of Africa Programme to Kenya in 2006 and to Ethiopia in 2011.
Since 2004, the Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) has demonstrated a regional competence and expertise in working with displaced populations.
NRC has mainly focused on Somalis who are displaced by the ongoing conflict and more recently by the drought and famine.
NRC offers a comprehensive response for Refugees, returnees and IDPs of high need, addressing their food security, livelihood, shelter, education, ICLA, and water, hygiene and sanitation needs and also responding to emergencies through NRC’s five core competences; Shelter, Education, Food Security and Livelihoods, WASH and Information, Counselling and Legal Assistance (ICLA).
NRC’s Horn of Africa operation comprises of large-scale multi-country humanitarian and early recovery interventions spread across eight countries (Kenya, Somalia, Ethiopia, Djibouti, and Yemen), and most recently Eritrea, Uganda and South Sudan.
NRC’s overall strategy in the region is to ensure a greater number of vulnerable people in hard to reach areas get access to humanitarian assistance, become resilient to future disasters and find durable solution.
The regional office is based in Nairobi and works with country programmes to ensure standardisation of programmatic and operational approaches, promote multi country programming and ensuring quality and coordination.
The Information Counselling and Legal Assistance (ICLA) Legal Officer is responsible for supporting NRC’s ICLA work..
The Legal Officer is primarily responsible for supporting counselling and legal assistance services in addition to developing and supporting technical training opportunities in line with ICLA’s thematic focus areas.
The Legal Officer is responsible for setting up client casework and information management systems to support our counselling and legal assistance/referrals including to NRC Somalia, to legal aid and protection partners in Kakuma camp complex.
The Legal Officer with support from the ICLA Project Coordinator will identify and carry out relevant capacity building and training opportunities including in relation to housing, land and property rights, legal identity and civil documentation.
The Legal Officer will also undertake legal analysis of the situation of refugees located in the Kakuma camp complex and support relevant research to develop ICLA’s programme in Kakuma.
The ICLA Project Officer (Legal) will report to ICLA Project Coordinator
- Ensure compliance with NRC policies, guidelines and standards
- Ensure compliance with ICLA CC strategy, tools, handbooks, guidelines and standards
- Responsible for implementation of relevant technical activities in the ICLA project in Kakuma
- Responsible for tracking of financial expenditures of the project
- Provide technical support and capacity building towards project staff
- Ensure relevant data collection and produce reports and analysis as required
- Assess, promote and document ideas for technical improvement and further program development options
- Represent NRC in relevant coordination forums and build relationships with key stakeholders
- Management and oversight of ICLA and partners counselling and legal assistance services for beneficiaries.
- Ensure proper budget monitoring and efficient utilization of funds.
- Development of Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs), relevant guidelines, client intake and management tools in line with NRC standards for all services provided.
- Implement and develop M&E activities and ensure timely reporting of relevant activities in line with NRC guidelines.
- Act as primary point of contact for legal partners/legal aid providers supporting ICLA in the provision of assistance. Ensure that partner services are provided in line with NRC standards and procedures.
- Support ICLA staff to carry out regular outreach including, where appropriate, home visits to particularly vulnerable clients that would be otherwise unable to access the office or legal centres.
- Ensure that appropriate internal and external referral pathways have been established. Represent NRC at relevant protection working group and other coordination forums.
- Conduct awareness raising, capacity building and training activities for communities, government officials and NGOs on ICLA thematic areas including housing, land and property rights and collaborative dispute resolution.
- Supervise, evaluate and appraise the Project Assistant(s), providing technical guidance when needed.
- Conduct regular analysis of the situation of refugees located in the Kakuma camp complex and support relevant research to develop ICLA’s programme in Kakuma. Assist in strategic review and identification of other relevant ICLA activities.
- Contribute to the development of NRC’s Country strategy, action plan and activities plan and priorities in the ICLA sector.
- Perform any other relevant tasks as assigned by the supervisor.
- University degree in law.
- Minimum 3 years humanitarian experience with refugees/internally displaced persons (IDPs) at field level with an NGO or other international organization.
- Knowledge of international refugee law and national law applicable to refugees
- Knowledge of SPHERE standards and durable solutions
Education field: Law
Education level: College / University, Bachelor’s degree
- Experience from working as a Project Officer in a humanitarian/recovery context
- Previous experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
- Knowledge of English.
- Commencement as soon as possible
- Duty station : Kakuma
- Duration of contract 1 year with possibility of Extension
- Salary/benefits according to NRC general directions. The candidate will observe NRC’s Code of Conduct and working hours for the NRC Kakuma office.
- Location: Kenya
- Industry: Emergency Relief
- Special field: Information, Counselling & Legal Assistance
- Role: Supervisor
How to Apply
Candidates should apply on line by going through www.nrc.no.
Email and paper applications will not be considered.
Deadline for application: 14/02/2017