Save the Children
Job Vacancy: Driver – Kenya Country Office
Team / Programme: Operations
Post Type: National
Child Safeguarding: Level 3 – the responsibilities of the post may require the post holder to have regular contact with or access to children or young people
Scope of the Role: To provide safe driving of Save the Children Kenya programme vehicles to staff and other authorised travellers, cleaning, and ensuring proper maintenance of vehicles in compliance with safe driving standards, ensuring the vehicle is always fuelled in readiness for trips and proper management of the fuel supply for the vehicle in accordance with Save the Children Kenya policies and procedures.
Reports to: Logistics Officer
Staff directly reporting to this post: None
Dimensions: Save the Children has been operational in Kenya since the 1950s, providing support to children through developmental and humanitarian relief programmes delivered both directly and through local partners. Current programming focuses on child protection, child rights governance, education, health, HIV/AIDS, livelihoods, nutrition and WASH.
In 2012, as part of a global reorganization process, Save the Children combined the programmes of SC UK, SC Canada and SC Finland to create a single operation in Kenya.
In Feb 2014, we completed a second transition, which saw us join forces with the British INGO, Merlin, and merge their health and nutrition programmes with our own.
Save the Children now has an operational presence in Bungoma, Dadaab Refugee Camp, Garissa, Mandera, Turkana and Wajir and we work through partners in many other parts of the country.
In 2016, Save the Children established a new project office in Madagascar whose operations are managed by the Kenya CO.
In total, we employ around 250 staff in both countries and had an operating annual budget in 2016 of approximately US$17.5million.
Key Areas of Accountability:
- Maintain all safety and security measures to all vehicles; Check level of motor oil, water, tyre pressure, battery water and brakes to ensure that all are in working order on a daily basis. Ensure that there is a spare tyre, jack and other necessary tools; fire extinguisher and first aid kits.
- Ensure that all vehicles are clean, fuelled and regularly serviced as per schedules.
- Provide safe and timely transport services to staff, visitors and guests.
- Ensure that the vehicle is comprehensively insured and observe proper procedure for insurance claims are followed in the event of an accident.
- Ensure that Save the Children vehicles comply with the Government of Kenya transport regulations.
- Complete the logbook for every day trips or specific trips and complete the fuel log sheet for any fuel purchases.
- In consultation with the Fleet in charge coordinate vehicle allocation to staff.
- Prepare monthly operating and fuelling cost reports for vehicle allocated in consultation with the fleet in charge.
- Provide periodic usage report of vehicle including total mileage, fuel consumption and expenditures.
- Ensure that all vehicle trips are authorized in advance by the Logistics assistant.
- Ensure that the keys and vehicle documents are kept in a secure place when the vehicle is not in use.
- Ensure the effective and efficient use of all Save the Children resources in order to keep costs low and ensure the security of staff and vehicle.
General: Comply with Save the Children policies and practice with respect to child safeguarding, code of conduct, health and safety and other relevant policies and procedures.
Skills and Behaviours (our Values in Practice)
- Holds self-accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values
- Holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities – giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved
- Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves (and their team), takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages others to do the same
- Widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
- Future orientated, thinks strategically
- Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, members and external partners and supporters
- Values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to
- Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
- Willing to take disciplined risks
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency
Qualifications and Experience
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Secondary ‘O’ level education.
- A clean driving licence minimum class B=C=E
- A minimum of 3-5 years’ professional driving experience in an NGO or similar environment, including significant field operations experience running both emergency and development programs recommended.
- Defensive driving skills, first aid training skills will be an added advantage.
- Good practical mechanical knowledge and experience in vehicle maintenance
- Certificate of good conduct
- Good knowledge of Turkana County and demonstrated ability to lead and work effectively in insecure environments is critical
- Must have valid Certificate of Good Conduct
- Must be a team player and capable of working with minimum supervision
- Must have good communication skills both in English and Swahili. Understanding of the local language will be an added advantage
- Must be courteous, honest and of high integrity
- Ability to work under pressure and odd hours when required.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates are required to submit a CV and mandatory Cover letter as one document to firstname.lastname@example.org indicating the position on the subject line by 22nd February 2017.
Hand delivery applications indicating the position can also be addressed to the HR Officer – Lodwar and dropped at the Save the Children offices.
Due to the urgency of this position applications will be reviewed as and when they are received.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.