Position: Deputy Chief of Party
Background Information: The Agile and Harmonized Assistance for Devolved Institutions (AHADI) is a five year USAID program implemented by the State University of New York’s (SUNY) Center for International Development (CID).
AHADI is jointly funded by USAID and DFID. The program is designed to support Kenya’s vision and agenda for achieving the promise of devolution.
The program’s interventions aim to promote governance systems that are transparent, accountable, effective in service delivery, and responsive to empowered citizens by working at both the national and county government levels.
AHADI has three main objectives;
- Targeted counties provide higher quality services through improved governance
- Improved representation of citizen interests and oversight of targeted county government performance
- Functionality and effectiveness of the devolved system increased through intra-government engagement and cooperation.
We are seeking a Deputy Chief of Party (DCOP) for the USAID-funded Agile and Harmonized Assistance for Devolved Institutions (AHADI) project; a large, cross-sector governance program supporting decentralization, institutional capacity building and improved government services in multiple sectors.
Position Summary: The DCOP for the AHADI project will be based in Nairobi, Kenya. A key element of the position is working effectively with high-profile government and non-governmental interlocutors, USAID technical teams, subcontractors, partners, grantees and other stakeholders.
Successful candidates will have demonstrated expertise managing donor-funded projects and technical expertise in decentralization, public financial management, local governance and/or service delivery.
Reports to: Chief of Party
Interrelationships: The Deputy Chief of Party will report to the Chief of Party who bears overall responsibility for Program implementation.
- Master’s degree or higher in public administration, political science, law, government, international development or similar field is required.
- Minimum of fifteen years working in international development with progressively greater responsibility.
- Substantial international comparative experience working with USAID Democracy and Governance programs generally and decentralization specifically.
- Experience working on donor-funded local service delivery, local government capacity-building, and/or civil society advocacy activities highly desirable.
- Relevant professional accomplishments, including demonstrated skills in program design, program implementation, monitoring for results, organizing and leading workshops and/or training
- Strong interpersonal, written and oral communication skills
- Fluency in English is required
Specific duties include:
3. Work under the direction of the COP to liaise with USAID technical staff in the Democracy and Governance office as well as technical teams for those sectors contributing to AHADI.
The DCOP will also assist in coordinating with other USAID implementing partners in sectors important for AHADI implementation.
4. Support and oversee the performance of project technical consultants. This may involve interviewing consultant candidates, writing scopes of work for consultants, and providing guidance and ensuring quality control over consultant activities and reports.
5. The DCOP will collaborate with the AHADI technical and Monitoring, Evaluation, Research, Learning and Adapting (MERLA) staff, including AHADI home office and sub-contractor staff, to contribute to project learning and knowledge generation. This may involve:
- Overseeing or directly drafting project reports to ensure AHADI’s technical strategies are communicated to USAID in a timely and useable manner.
- Providing guidance on types of information the program team needs to do more evidence based programming;
- Identifying what kind of knowledge the M&E, communications and program teams can extract from programming;
- Overseeing and contributing directly to AHADI knowledge and learning reports, including preparation of short articles, issue briefs, or analyses arising from project activities and reports
- Mentoring Nairobi and county-based staff on ways they can contribute to the project’s evidence based programming, results capture, and learning;
6. In coordination with the COP, the DCOP will liaise with the SUNY/CID Home Office to help ensure adequate HO support and oversight for the duties listed above.
7. The DCOP must be a team player, and comfortable working with AHADI project staff, professional associates and clients of all ranks.
8. Carry out other duties as assigned by the COP.
Location: The Deputy Chief of Party will be based in the AHADI Nairobi office.
Travel: Travel in country is expected. It is anticipated that travel will be between 30-40%.
If you possess the skills and qualifications as contained in the respective position descriptions, please send
(1) a Cover letter
(2) CV and
(3) References from three Professional Referees, one referee should be previous or current supervisor
Closing date: 24th February 2017.
Please note only short listed candidates will be contacted.
Kindly put the subject line for the position you are applying for.
Applications without the subject line will not be evaluated.
SUNY-AHADI is an equal opportunities employer.
|Company / Organization||
|Job Opening Date||
|Job Expiry Date||