Position: Operations Manager
Background Information: The Agile and Harmonized Assistance for Devolved Institutions (AHADI) is a five year USAID program implemented by the State University of New York’s (SUNY) Center for International Development (CID). AHADI is funded by both USAID and DFID.
The program is designed to support Kenya’s vision and agenda for achieving the promise of devolution.
The program’s interventions aim to promote governance systems that are transparent, accountable, effective in service delivery, and responsive to empowered citizens by working at both the national and county government levels.
AHADI has three main objectives;
- Targeted counties provide higher quality services through improved governance
- Improved representation of citizen interests and oversight of targeted county government performance
- Functionality and effectiveness of the devolved system increased through intra-government engagement and cooperation.
Position Summary: The Operations Manager is responsible to oversee all operations including administration, logistics, procurement, budgeting, finance and compliance, property, and oversight of Grants under Contract.
The Operations Manager must ensure that implementation is in accordance with USG regulations, SUNY procedures and the specifications determined in the Contract.
This position is responsible for ensuring that all procurement processes are fair and transparent, reviewing financial compliance and subcontract implementation.
Reports to: Chief of Party
Interrelationships: The Operations Manager will report to the Chief of Party who bears overall responsibility for the project activities in the field. The Operations Manager has responsibility for project logistics and operations.
- At least a Master’s degree in business, finance, management, economics, international development, Public Management or a related field (or, alternately, a Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field and 4 additional years of relevant experience).
- Minimum of 8 years of relevant experience (USAID project management, finance, contracts, and operations).
- Fluency in US Government policies and procedures in regards to contract management, financial reporting, procurement processes, systems, and grants and contracts management.
- Substantial experience working with USAID Democracy and Governance programs generally and significant experience overseeing small grants programs.
- Experience working on donor-funded local service delivery, local government capacity-building, and/or civil society advocacy activities highly desirable.
- Demonstrated ability to propose possible resolutions to complex technical, managerial or operational problems.
General duties include:
- Under the direction of the COP, the Operations Manager will be responsible for assisting the COP with regards to program leadership, strategic planning, management and quality assurance.
- The Operations Manager will help to develop, implement and monitor the operations of the project. Primarily the activities will include, but are not limited to field office operations management, grants management, finance management, HR Management, Procurement and Logistics Management.
- The Operations Manager will help in managing the contractual obligations between AHADI and USAID which will include ensuring that the grants are well prepared in line with laid down regulations.
- The Operations Manager must be a team player, and comfortable working with AHADI project staff, professional associates and clients of all ranks. The Operations Manager must understand and support the partnership methodology of the AHADI project.
- The incumbent will carry out any other duties as assigned by the COP.
Location: The Operations Manager will be based in the AHADI Nairobi office.
Travel: Travel in country is expected. It is anticipated that travel will be between 10-20%.
How to Apply
If you possess the skills and qualifications as contained in the respective position descriptions, please send
(1) a Cover letter
(2) CV and
(3) References from three Professional Referees, one referee should be previous or current supervisor
Closing date: 24th February 2017.
Please note only short listed candidates will be contacted.
Kindly put the subject line for the position you are applying for.
Applications without the subject line will not be evaluated.
SUNY-AHADI is an equal opportunities employer.