Duma Works is recruiting a Project Regional Accountant for our client, Technoserve.
TechnoServe works with enterprising people in the developing world to build competitive farms, businesses and industries.
We are a non-profit organization that develops business solutions to poverty by linking people to information, capital and markets.
Our work is rooted in the idea that given the opportunity, hardworking men and women in even the poorest places can generate income, jobs and wealth for their families and communities.
With more than four decades of proven results, we believe in the power of private enterprise to transform lives.
Program Description: The Strengthening Rural Youth Development through Enterprise (STRYDE) program began in 2011 and has successfully worked with over 10,000 youth in Kenya, Rwanda and Uganda, enabling a more successful transition of rural women and men, aged 18 to 30, into economically independent adulthood.
The Program is now is in its second Phase, where it is working with an additional 48,015 youth, of which 15,000 will come from Tanzania.
The STRYDE Program consists of a 3-month training program and a 9-month aftercare phase which helps youth to identify models to start a business, find a job, or return to the family farm utilizing their new commercial skills.
To support youth in starting businesses or obtaining employment or internships, TechnoServe coordinates job fairs, facilitates linkages to additional training, arranges finance clinics with financial service providers, connects youth to local employers and business/ micro-franchise opportunities such as the Coca-Cola 5-by-20 initiative, and looks for ways to create linkages for youth within its existing networks in local and regional agribusinesses and agricultural production.
TechnoServe also recognizes that youth workforce development in parallel with job creation is critical to violence prevention and political stability, and is increasingly identifying avenues to integrate youth into its value chain and entrepreneurship work.
Over the next 5 years, our strategic plan identifies addressing barriers to opportunities for youth as an important priority.
Position Description: The Regional-Project Finance &Administration Assistant will based in Nairobi, Kenya and reporting directly to the Regional Finance/Administration Manager and assist in the day-to-day activities and various responsibilities within the regional accounting department.
The role entails supporting the Regional Finance/Administration Manager in all aspects of financial management & administration of the STRYDE Project including accounting oversight, auditing,, internal controls, timely budget preparation, monitoring and reporting; contribute to capacity building of finance & project staff in the STRYDE countries and implement financial management policies and procedures.
Duties & Responsibilities
- The Regional-Project Finance &Administration Assistant will be required to provide financial and accounting oversight to the STRYDE Countries Kenya, Rwanda, Uganda and Tanzania.
- The person will travel to respective countries in the regions in order to review monthly reports and receipts, assist with reconciliations& coding, review internal controls, provide training to the Accountants, and help in process improvement and work with the country accountants and controllers to resolve issues in a timely manner
- Ensure that all financial data recorded in SERENIC NAV across the STRYDE countries have the mandatory dimensions Fund code, Responsibility Code, Task Code and Client Codes
- Review accounting records & provide adequate accounting information to the country teams in timely manner in accordance with STRYDE policies and Master Card Foundation procedures & policies
- Review monthly accounting transactions online in NAV vision and follow up with Country Project accountants to fix errors noted before they are posted
- Ensure all accounting data in the system are updated, reconciled and fully supported
- Assist in the preparation of quarterly financial reporting to the donor ensuring that all donor financial requirements are met and that donor reports are timely and accurate and ensure compliance to policies and procedures in all areas
- Ensure all receipts incurred during the quarterly report are available, scanned and shared with donor as required
- Assist in initiating the accounting program in new countries and/or provide training to newly hired staff
- Ensure that month-end procedures are completed on time for each country and that the results are successfully transmitted to the regional accounting on time
- Review requisitions/quotations sent to regional office for approval and ensure that they are properly coded
- Review interfaces and post transactions into the NAV system if require and ensure accuracy and proper coding
- Review the fixed assets register and ensure it is updated on regular basis
- Support the annual budgeting, forecasting and year planning and ensure that they are consistent with the guidelines and procedures
- Support development of project proposal budgets to ensure they are in realistic and in line with the activities in the proposal
- Participate in Inception meetings and interpretation of financial requirements to the implementing staff
- Review donor reporting matrix, financial analysis, and bank reconciliation for respective country bank accounts
- Review disbursement to partners including reviewing partners reports and documentation before posting in NAV system
- Monitor partner grants budgets in the region in liaison with the Project Accountant and Project Manager in the respective countries
Required Skills & Experience
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Business Administration, Economics.
- Professional Qualification in CPA, ACCA, CMA.
- 5-7 years financial accounting experience preferably in an NGO environment
- Excellent IT skills with experience of operating computer-based financial management systems
- Competent to advanced level in Microsoft Excel
- Experience and knowledge of Selenic Navigator highly preferred;
- An eye for detail and a concern for accuracy, together with the ability to keep sight of the broad picture
- Ability to work under pressure
- Ability to work with minimum supervision, but as part of a team
- Experience of working with and reporting to international donors, in particular, experience of managing multiple budgets at the same time
- Working knowledge of donor compliance rules and regulations for the major donors
- Willingness and ability to take the initiative in identifying problems, suggesting solutions, and implementing agreed solutions.
Reporting Unit/Supervisor: Regional – Project Finance, Administrative and Grant Manager
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Travel: Rwanda, Uganda & Tanzania
Send your Cover Letter and detailed CV to email@example.com marking the subject as “2671”, Your Full name & Phone number e.g. 2671 Barack Obama, +2547xxxxxxxx. If you don’t follow these instructions, your application will not go through.
Deadline for receiving applications: 28th February 2017
N.B.* You will receive a confirmation email and an alert to take a basic screening test over SMS or online. The email with the test may not arrive immediately. Please be patient. The email/SMS test will typically be 5-8 questions to help us understand your background. Regular SMS rates apply to the test. If you have any issues with the process, please reach out to +254702093793.
If you apply and don’t meet these minimum qualifications, we won’t be able to forward your application to the employer.