United States International University-Africa, situated in Nairobi, Kenya is the most diverse university in East and Central Africa catering to over 6500 students from 62 nationalities, and with a global network of over 16,000 alumni.
It is also the only other university in Africa to receive local and American accreditation of its 22 degree programs.
In line with USIU – Africa’s commitment to providing quality, affordable education through world-class service delivery platforms, USIU-Africa is seeking to recruit a suitable candidate for the following position:
Reporting to the University Librarian, the holder of this position will assist in preserving and restoring the university print collection using appropriate and cost effective methods of binding and conservation.
- Plan work at bindery section to ensure efficiency and effectiveness of bindery services.
- Advice clients on restoration methods appropriate for given documents to enhance useful life of information material.
- Bind books, journals, newspapers, magazines and other sensitive/confidential university materials to prolong their shelf life and make them more user-friendly.
- Set and operate binding machines to ensure compliance to the production standards.
- Service and carry out minor repairs of bindery machines to ensure functionality.
- Initiate requisitions for binding materials to facilitate purchase of required items
- Receive and record binding materials brought to the bindery for information purposes.
- Keep a record of books and materials bound as a manifestation of the work done for general information purposes and for accountability.
- Provide training to interns, work-study students and those on attachment to enable them to acquire book binding skills.
- Accrue and prepare monthly binding statistical reports for accurate audit, evaluation and future planning.
- Liaise with chief librarian and suppliers for acquisition of preservation and conservation equipment/machines to ensure appropriate equipment/machine items are supplied.
- Perform any other duty as will be assigned from time to time.
Educational Qualifications and Professional Experience
- Diploma in print finishing and packaging from an accredited academic institution.
- At least 3 years of relevant experience in a similar position.
Personal Attributes & Competencies
- Confidentiality and integrity;
- Team player with excellent interpersonal skills;
- Relationship builder & effective negotiator;
- Good Communication skills;
- Self motivated;
- Attention to detail;
- Adaptability and reliability
If you have the requisite qualifications and experience and want to work as a team member in a modern and progressive institution where you can make a difference, please apply.
Interested applicants must provide a cover letter and a current CV, certified copies of educational certificates and transcripts, names and addresses of three referees, current salary and benefits, telephone and e-mail contacts to the address below by Friday, February 24, 2017.
Director of Human Resources,
United States International University – Africa
P.O Box 14634-00800, Nairobi, Kenya
USIU-Africa is an equal opportunity employer.