United States International University-Africa, situated in Nairobi, Kenya is the most diverse university in East and Central Africa catering to over 6500 students from 62 nationalities, and with a global network of over 16,000 alumni.
It is also the only other university in Africa to receive local and American accreditation of its 22 degree programs.
In line with USIU – Africa’s commitment to providing quality, affordable education through world-class service delivery platforms, USIU-Africa is seeking to recruit a suitable candidate for the following position:
Director of Finance
Reporting to the Vice Chancellor, the holder of this position will be responsible for developing and implementing sound financial policies, controls and procedures that ensure financial strength needed by the University to realize its mission and objectives.
- Undertake strategic analysis, reviews and implementation of financial plans for the university;
- Coordinate preparation of financial statements, budgets, reports and special analysis for presentation to management and the university council for deliberation and approval;
- Provide leadership, guidance, coordination and direction within the Finance division;
- Formulate and monitor the investment policy and related transactions in the University;
- Develop and implement fiscal policies and appropriate procedures to ensure common understanding in the performance of duties and responsibilities and align them to the university’s strategic plan;
- Formulate and implement financial strategy by using forecasts and budgets as required in conjunction with the Vice chancellor and the university’s Management Board to guide the Finance Committee in monitoring and evaluation of the finance strategy;
- Oversee and review all annual budgets, forecasts monthly management accounts, service costing, business case evaluation and cash management;
- Oversee cash flow and treasury management for monitoring and reporting purposes in line with the University’s cash flow and treasury policies;
- Represent management in various committees including the Finance and Audit Committees, and ensure that relevant papers and reports are prepared and presented to the said committees accordingly;
- Proactively generate an agenda for the Finance Committee of the University Council;
- Place surplus funds on interest bearing deposits with the bank, money market or investment managers and ensure appropriate balancing of interest earned with risk and maintaining the capital of the University;
- Liaise with Financial institutions such as banks and insurance companies, government officials, suppliers, creditors, students, staff and faculty on various management and technical issues;
- Ensure that effective procurement systems and procedures are in place to provide the highest levels of profitability, legal compliance and value for money;
- Ensure the University secures the best deals for all its purchases through maintenance and review of all records of purchased goods, including their costs and deliveries;
Minimum Educational and Professional Experience
- Master’s degree in accounting and /or finance from an accredited university;
- 15 years of relevant experience, 8 of which must be in senior management;
- Membership in relevant professional bodies;
Personal Attributes & Competencies
- Shown merit and ability as reflected in work performance and results;
- Competency in Accounting and Finance, Audit, Budgeting and Taxation;
- Good people skills and a team player;
- Pleasant personality and achievement orientation;
- Leadership and negotiating skills;
- Attention to detail;
- Adaptability and reliability;
- Planning and organizing;
If you have the requisite qualifications and experience and want to work as a team member in a modern and progressive institution where you can make a difference, please apply.
Interested applicants must provide a cover letter and a current CV, certified copies of educational certificates and transcripts, names and addresses of three referees, current salary and benefits, telephone and e-mail contacts to the address below by Friday, February 24, 2017.
Director of Human Resources,
United States International University – Africa
P.O Box 14634-00800, Nairobi, Kenya
USIU-Africa is an equal opportunity employer.