United States International University-Africa, situated in Nairobi, Kenya is the most diverse university in East and Central Africa catering to over 6500 students from 62 nationalities, and with a global network of over 16,000 alumni.
It is also the only other university in Africa to receive local and American accreditation of its 22 degree programs.
In line with USIU – Africa’s commitment to providing quality, affordable education through world-class service delivery platforms, USIU-Africa is seeking to recruit a suitable candidate for the following position:
Senior Insurance Officer
In addition to providing general advisory services related to Insurance, the job holder will provide day to day management and administration of Insurance services across the University, liaising with staff, faculty, students, brokers and underwriters to ensure effective communication and the efficient administration of claims.
- Manage Insurance services for the University including but not limited to medical insurance for staff, students and faculty, Group Life, Public Liability Insurance and Directors and Officers Liability while ensuring appropriate and cost effective cover is in place at all times.
- Manage service providers within the docket.
- To produce reports for the Management Board on all Insurance matters including analyzing claims experience and outstanding claims, analyzing statistical data such as mortality, accident, sickness, disability and retirement rates and forecasting risk and liability.
- To adhere to legal requirements, industry regulations and customer quality standards set by the university.
- Maintain a register of all Insurances that the University holds.
- Claims Management:-
Spearheading the development and maintenance of a comprehensive claims processing policy.
Reporting all incidents to the Insurance Brokers on a daily basis.
Liaising with other departments in preparation and compilation of documents in support of the claims.
Forwarding the documents to the Insurance brokers for claim settlement.
Coordination of investigation of claims in liaison with operational units within the university.
Coordinate the Loss adjuster/Investigators verification exercise on all incidences.
Liaising with the Insurance brokers to ensure prompt processing of claims relating to third party goods.
Analyzing claims data to ensure all issues relating to applicable insurance policies are identified and addressed with the respective Insurance brokers and Underwriters.
Make a follow-up on all settlements.
Preparation of periodical reports on claims.
- Formulation, establishment and implementation of the university’s risk management policy on assets and manpower.
- Ensure safe custody of all original copies of Policy documents.
Liaise with Insurance brokers on maintenance of the online filing system.
Keep copies of all Insurance claim documents and communication.
Keep and maintain updated schedules of insured assets.
- Sensitize the university community on various insurance policies held by the University.
- Research on insurance companies policies and negotiate with Insurers for suitable products and rates for the University.
- Any other duties consistent with the role.
Minimum Educational Qualifications and Professional Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in business or a closely related field specializing in Insurance from an accredited university;
- Diploma in Insurance from an accredited academic institution;
- Membership to relevant professional insurance bodies;
- At least 5 years’ of relevant experience in a similar position.
Personal Attributes & Competencies
- Report-writing skills, numerical and statistical skills;
- Proactive and with proven ability to take instructions and execute;
- Strict follow-up of matters and ability to maintain a good bring-up system;
- Proficiency in computer applications.
- Confidentiality and integrity;
- Team player with excellent interpersonal skills;
- Relationship builder & effective negotiator;
- Good Communication skills;
- Self motivated;
- Attention to detail;
- Adaptability and reliability.
If you have the requisite qualifications and experience and want to work as a team member in a modern and progressive institution where you can make a difference, please apply.
Interested applicants must provide a cover letter and a current CV, certified copies of educational certificates and transcripts, names and addresses of three referees, current salary and benefits, telephone and e-mail contacts to the address below by Friday, February 24, 2017.
Director of Human Resources,
United States International University – Africa
P.O Box 14634-00800, Nairobi, Kenya
USIU-Africa is an equal opportunity employer.