Position: Debt Recovery Officer
Located in: Nairobi
Country / Zone: Kenya
Hierarchical Affiliation: The Debt Recovery Officer reports to the Debt Recovery Manager and is responsible for dealing with all aspects of debt recovery process and for managing assigned case load effectively in line with agreed client service levels.
The resource will work closely with the Debt Recovery Manager, Credit Analyst and the Account Managers in an effort to meet lending goals and objectives.
The Recovery Officer will communicate with borrowers, third party lenders, attorneys and other external parties, as appropriate.
- Internal : Group
- External : Lawyers, Auctioneers, Debt collections agents, collateral valuers
- Degree in a relevant area of study such as business administration or finance.
- Legal experience and Qualification in Credit management/Business Administration/ Debt recovery will be a definite advantage
- Relevant work experience; must possess experience in commercial lending function (asset finance and leasing business lending, etc.) preferably with a bank or financial institution, with formal or on the job training in Risk analysis.
- Conceptual and Analytical Skills : Must be able to conceptualise issues and analyse proposals to great detail to understand underlying issues
- Knowledge of Business Environment : Must understand local and global dynamics of the business environments facing customers
- Lending Skills : basic credit skills in asset finance leasing Product
- Legislation : Must be familiar with legislation relating to debt collection, perfection of collaterals, HP & Leasing products and requirements by regulating bodies
- Technology Skills : Computer literate with proficiency in MS office and graphic applications
Human qualities, profile comportementale :
- Performance Oriented : Understands measurement metrics, appreciates being measured and applying objective criteria to assess customers to mitigate risks and enhance recoveries
- Personal Ethics : Must be honest, fair and just with self and high level of intergrity
- Decisive and independent : Ability to operate on own, consult and clarify where necessary and make informed decisions
- Tenacious : ability to follow through promise to pay by clients with a clear mind that is not swayed by distractions
- Interpersonal Skills : Must be good with people in bad and good times, but firm and fair
- Negotiations Skills : Must be a hard negotiator, with excellent convincing approaches
- Communication Skills : Excellent written and verbal communication skills, report/proposal writing skills and presentation skills
- Human Resources Management : management skills, team building skills and ability to train, develop and mentor staff
Main missions and tasks:
- Loan Monitoring – The recovery officer will be responsible for the ongoing asset management of a portfolio of loans, including developing a relationship with each borrower and conducting regular loan monitoring reviews. The officer will prepare reviews for each loan on a regular schedule to review overall asset quality, including performance against original underwriting expectations.
- Loan Extensions and Modifications – For loans where the borrower is seeking an extension and or modification, the recovery officer will work closely with the borrower to provide a preliminary assessment of the necessity and feasibility of such extension or modification, and communicate with the credit analyst. The officer will conduct an analysis of the credit and make a recommendation as to the extension or modification terms and conditions, if an extension or modification is deemed appropriate.
- Non-performing Loans – the recovery officer will manage non-performing loans, including but not limited to conducting site inspections, appraisal reviews, and borrower or project financial analysis.
- Reporting – the recovery officer will be responsible for reporting on the overall portfolio, including and not limited to assessing asset quality, stress testing, industry and market analysis, asset allocation, reserves and non-performing loan analysis.
- Projects – the recovery officer may from time to time have an opportunity or be required to work on miscellaneous projects and initiatives related to either the credit functions or across the company as needed.
- Customer Service – The recovery officer will maintain a positive and professional relationship with customers and business partners (which include attorneys and other external parties) by responding promptly for any and all requests in a responsive, consistent, accurate manner.
- Legal – The recovery officer will liaise with the Attorneys to ensure swift conclusion of legal issues between the customer and the organisation.
- Repossession and Disposal of Assets – The recovery officer will liaise with auctioneers and investigators to locate, seize and dispose of assets of loans that have defaulted, within the law and with all notifications served upon the customer, in time.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Ensure compliance with the Credit Policy and regulatory compliance standards
Salary and advantages: KES.120,000
Interested candidates who fully meet the above requirements should send their applications along with a detailed Curriculum Vitae indicating expected salary and their daytime contact to email@example.com (Subject of the email should be the title of the POSITION APPLIED FOR + JOB REF).
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
Note: We do not charge any fees for receiving and reviewing applications or for interviews