Embassy of Switzerland in Kenya
Position: Finance & Admin Assistant (Accountant)
Duty Station: Nairobi, Kenya
The Embassy of Switzerland to Kenya, Burundi, Rwanda, Somalia and Uganda forms part of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Switzerland (FDFA).
The Embassy is hiring a Finance & Admin Assistant (Accountant) to support all finance related issues with responsibility for timely and accurate accounting, including support to partner organisations and assistance in contract establishment.
- Initiate and process journal entries in the accounting software Vision+ in accordance with FDFA directives and
Generally Accepted Accounting Principles in close collaboration with the Finance Officer.
- Assist the Finance Officer in preparing monthly accounts closure in Vision+
- Invoices/bills are paid in a timely manner and properly tracked according to FDFA guidelines
- Relevant statutory deductions are processed and settled with relevant local authorities in a timely manner.
- Manage key vendor relationships, including contracting, problem-resolutions and timely invoicing and payment in the SAP system including E-billing.
- Assist in preparing monthly reconciliations of bank accounts, cash accounts, general and related sub-ledger
accounts and honorary consulate accounts.
- Review invoices for VAT and Excise Duty charges and provide all necessary documents for VAT and Excise
Duty exemption applications to the Logistics Officer in a timely manner.
- Monitor cash and bank balances and ensure that they are up-to-date at all times and consistent with stipulated liquidity thresholds
- Ensure accounting records and documents are properly filed and confidential documents are properly and
- Contracts are correctly entered and managed in the FDFA contract management system ESPIRIT.
- Assist the Finance Officer in the preparation of periodic financial reports (Budget control, Liquidity planning, Cost Analysis & Forecasting etc.) and extraction of various reports from SAP/Vision+
- Assist in the preparation of documentation for audit in coordination with the Finance team.
- Work closely with the Finance and Admin team in the annual Global Budget development process.
- Monitor accounting processes from time to time for compliance with stipulated FDFA directives and local law.
- Assist with monthly payroll preparation, processing statutory contributions, medical insurance, according to
Kenyan Law and Embassy regulations.
2. Contract / Project Management
- Financial support in the management of Embassy’s Kleinaktionen Portfolio, including supporting project partners in budgeting/financial reporting, compliance and audit
- Assist in monitoring partners’ budget absorption to ensure accurate tracking of implementation and progress
- Assist the Project team during the PCM cycle
- Provide technical input and support on assessment missions including partner risk assessments
- Creation and administration of contracts in SAP ESPRIT module
- Review and evaluation of financial project reports
- Ensure comprehensive electronic and physical project data are maintained and up to date in SAP at all times for the projects and contracts under his/her responsibility.
3. Administrative / Logistics
- Monitor all active rental contracts and ensure rental payments are made on time.
- Develop, in conjunction with the Admin staff, best practice procedures across the office on a continuous basis.
- Assist the Logistics Officer to maintain up-to-date inventory records (both paper and electronic).