Farm Africa is an international, non – governmental organization working to increase the incomes and improve food security of smallholder farmers, pastoralists, agro-pastoralists and forest dwellers in East Africa.
Farm Africa is launching an ambitious new strategy, aiming to become the leading European NGO specialising in agriculture, the environment and market engagement.
In order to realise this we have set an organisational target to double the organisation’s funding by 2020.
Farm Africa Kenya is recruiting the following position:
Job Title: Agribusiness Project Officer
Project Name: Gwassi Integrated Community Empowerment Program (GICEP- Economic component)
Reports To: Project Coordinator (PC) – GICEP
Staff Reporting To Postholder: None
Location: Gwassi, Homabay County
Duration: Fix term, full-time, renewable based on performance and availability of funds.
Purpose of the Role: To take lead in agribusiness training for “Gwassi Integrated Community Empowerment project-Economic component” GICEP project beneficiaries and other implementing partners.
Work with Input suppliers to develop and input supply chain. Identify and interlink agro dealers in Gwassi to form a network for input sourcing, Link input suppliers with back end suppliers to source for and get quality inputs.
Train agro dealers on business skills. Train and monitor implementing partners on business skills.
This position requires an experienced Business Development practitioner with strong technical skills in implementing market focused complex agriculture projects and with a track record of marketing, product logistics, post-harvest handling, input supply chain and SME enterprise development.
Key Tasks and Responsibilities
- Develop inclusive business plans for crop input supply
- Identify and interlink agro dealers within Gwassi to for a network for input sourcing
- Offer agribusiness support to agro dealers in Gwassi to develop robust distribution channels of crop inputs to ensure accessibility by farmers
- Set up demonstration sites to show good agricultural practices based on suitable use of inputs
- Identify and engage suitable back end suppliers for inter linkage with agro dealers
- In collaboration with implementation partners, map input demand within the project area
- Create strategic linkages with major input suppliers, financial institutions and other partners that can help build the input supply chain
- Work with implementation partners to ensure training and monitoring are done in line with project objectives
- Project Monitoring and Reporting
- Other Roles as directed by the PC, PM and CD
Education, qualifications & other knowledge
- Degree level in Agri-Business or any other related field
- Knowledge of the agriculture sector in Kenya
- Minimum 3 years relevant work experience in the agricultural crop input sector
- Experience of working with commercial enterprises
- Experience in enterprise development
- Previous experience working in the input sector in Kenya
- Project planning & implementation
- Capacity building of SMEs and farmers/farmer groups
- Knowledge & practical experience of economic models
- Negotiating & managing partner relationships