Farm Africa is an international, non – governmental organization working to increase the incomes and improve food security of smallholder farmers, pastoralists, agro-pastoralists and forest dwellers in East Africa.
Farm Africa is launching an ambitious new strategy, aiming to become the leading European NGO specialising in agriculture, the environment and market engagement.
In order to realise this we have set an organisational target to double the organisation’s funding by 2020.
Farm Africa Kenya is recruiting the following position:
Job Title: Business Development Officer
Project Name: Accelerated Value Chain Development Project (ACVD) – Drought Tolerant Crops Value Chain
Reports To: Project Coordinator (PC)
Staff Reporting To Postholder: None
Location: Kisumu with travel within three Counties of operation i.e. Kitui, Siaya and Busia and Kenya Country Office in Nairobi
Duration: Fix term, full-time, renewable based on performance and availability of funds.
Purpose of the Role: To take lead in agribusiness training for “Feed The Future- Accelerated Value Chain Development Program – Drought Tolerant Crops Value Chain” (AVCD) project. AVCD project beneficiaries and other implementing partners.
Work with farmer groups in group to plan for logistics for aggregation and collective marketing. Link farmers/farmer groups with SMEs/MSMEs to create market linkages for off-take of Drought Tolerant Crops (DTC) produce including Green Grams, Sorghum, Millet, Ground Nuts and Pigeon Peas.
This position requires an experienced Business Development practitioner with strong technical skills in implementing market focused complex agriculture projects in semi-arid areas and with a track record of marketing, product logistics, post-harvest handling, seed systems or similar, of drought resistant crops.
Key Tasks and Responsibilities
1. Develop and implement an overall market engagement strategy for the AVCD project
- In collaboration with the AVCD project coordinator and Head of Market Engagement – develop a market linkage strategy for the AVCD project with clear deliverables and timelines in line with the project document
2. Take lead in delivering agri-business training
- In collaboration with the AVCD project coordinator and Head of Market Engagement – develop an agribusiness training strategy and curriculum
- Develop/adopt agribusiness IEC materials
- Deliver agribusiness trainings for farmers, selected ministry of agriculture staff and selected SMEs
3. Map Off-take markets in Siaya, Busia and Kitui and create linkage with farmers / farmer groups / collection centers
- Identify at least 1 SME / traders / off-take markets for all crop varieties produced per sub-county for linkage with farmer groups
- Establish volumes demanded and product specifications and communicate the same to farmers
- For SMEs offering contract farming option – Link farmer groups to markets before planting season
- In collaboration of PC – liaise ICRISAT and implementing partners for GAPs to establish projected volumes for proactive planning for market engagement
- Support farmers in developing logistics for aggregation and marketing
4. Monitoring and Reporting
- Regular data collection and reporting according to the project monitoring and learning plan
- Document success stories on market linkages
- Participate in M&E meetings/sessions
- Write reports on deliverables using the formats provided
- Participate in community feedback sessions and take lessons for improving project delivery
5. Other Roles
- Support the project in organising and facilitating market linkage forums
- To participate and represent the project and Farm Africa in relevant forums as directed by PC
- Any other related duty as directed by line manager or Farm Africa management team
Education, qualifications & other knowledge
- Relevant degree level in Agri-Business, Economics or any other related filed
- Knowledge of the agriculture sector in Kenya
- Minimum 5 years relevant work experience in marketing of agricultural products
- Experience of working with commercial enterprises
- Experience in DTC produce marketing
- Project planning & implementation
- Capacity building of SMEs and farmers / farmer groups
- Knowledge & practical experience of economic models
- Negotiating & managing partner relationships