Farm Africa is an international, non – governmental organization working to increase the incomes and improve food security of smallholder farmers, pastoralists, agro-pastoralists and forest dwellers in East Africa.
Farm Africa is launching an ambitious new strategy, aiming to become the leading European NGO specialising in agriculture, the environment and market engagement.
In order to realise this we have set an organisational target to double the organisation’s funding by 2020.
Farm Africa Kenya is recruiting the following position:
Job Title: Project Accountant / Administrator
Project Name: Accelerated Value Chain Development Project (ACVD) – Drought Tolerant Crops Value Chain
Reports To: Project Coordinator, (line manager) & Finance Manager (functional manager)
Staff Reporting to Postholder: None
Location: Kisumu with travel within three Counties of operation i.e. Kitui, Siaya and Busia and Kenya Country Office in Nairobi
Duration & Hours: Fix term, full-time, renewable based on performance and availability of funds.
Purpose of the Role: To ensure a high standard of financial management and adherence to financial and procurement policy guidelines
Key Tasks and Responsibilities
- To ensure compliance with the basic standards contained in the Farm Africa finance procedures manual and donor rules and regulations.
- To maintain comprehensive and up-to-date project financial records.
- To assist the Project Coordinator with budgeting and reporting.
- To perform routine administrative and logistical tasks.
- To ensure safe custody of Office assets.
- To ensure all purchases and procurement procedures are adhered to.
- To play an active role as a member of the Farm Africa Kenya finance team.
- To reinforce and ensure financial discipline in decisions and activities of the Project.
- To ensure that all per diems taken by project staff are correctly calculated.
- To ensure that all Staff Working Advances (SWA) taken by project staff are accounted in a timely manner
- Ensure full compliance with the procurement and finance procedures, approval thresholds and procurement guidelines
- To advise the Project Coordinator on relevant budgetary control measures to address any identified weaknesses in policy and/or practice.
- To feed back any pertinent financial management issues to the Finance & Administration Manager in Nairobi.
- To ensure that all project income and expenditure is accurately accounted for using Farm Africa’s accounting system.
- To enter income and expenditure figures into QuickBooks on a daily basis.
- To ensure that proper accounting records are maintained at the project level.
- To send an accurate and complete set of monthly project accounts to Finance & Administration Manager by the 10th of the following month.
- To prepare monthly budget monitoring reports for the Project Team by the 25th of the following month.
- To assist in the preparation of project budget revisions as required (e.g. when new funding is obtained).
- In liaison with the Finance & Administration Manager, to reconcile the expenditure figures included in financial reports to project donors.
- To maintain an effective and efficient filing and information retrieval system (electronic and hard copies).
- To handle incoming and outgoing project correspondence (letters and faxes).
- To answer and forward phone calls.
- To prepare payment vouchers.
- To receive visitors to the office and direct them to the appropriate staff.
- To handle and ensure timely replenishment of petty cash.
- In consultation with the Office & HR Manager in Nairobi, to carry out basic IT maintenance including updating virus software.
- In consultation with the administration and finance department in Nairobi country office, to ensure that office supplies (equipment and stationery) are promptly requisitioned and supplied.
- To assist in organising meetings, workshops and conferences.
- To make travel and accommodation arrangements for project staff and visitors.
- To maintain an up-to-date asset register for the Kitui office and convey any changes to the Country Office Accountant on a monthly basis.
- To ensure that all project assets (furniture, equipment and vehicles) are insured, serviced and maintained and to report any defects promptly to the Project Coordinator.
- To host a monitoring visit by the Finance & Administration Manager and/or other members of the Farm Africa finance team at least twice per year.
- To complete an annual appraisal with the Project Coordinator (with input from the Finance & Administration Manager).
- To participate in the annual workshops organised by the London Director of Resources and her team
Education, qualifications & other knowledge
- Bachelors degree in Accounting
- CPA (Part 2 Section 4)
- Administration qualification
- Previous NGO experience
- At least 2 years experience in project / fund accounting
- Excellent Quickbooks competency
- Experience in planning, budget preparation and monitoring
- Financial reporting to donors
- Knowledge Financial rules and regulations