Job Description: Operations Manager
Company Profile: The firm is one of the few successful processors of fruit and vegetables products; the Company produces good quality of tomato products like purees, paste, ketchup and sauces; other products include the tropical fruit juices and mixed fruit jams; also the Company has bottling lines of safe drinking water under the brand name of ‘lulu’.
The Company is located about 35kms from the city center of Dar es Salaam and has installed high tech machinery and equipment for food processing that any qualified food technologist would wish to use in processing high quality products.
It envisions growing into a large scale processor; we aspire to introduce new and nutritious products that will contribute to a larger assortment that will insure supplies to the local as well as the foreign export markets.
Reports to: The Chief Executive Officer
Location: Kibaha Township, Tanzania
Job Summary: The Operations Manager is responsible for the overall business performance of the Company.
The Operations manager uses the past performance of the business, market conditions and strategic planning to forecast the supply and demand of the products.
He coordinates all activities including management, finance, customer relations, and marketing to ensure efficiency and profitability.
- Effectively manage costs in department at all times without compromising the quality with minimum cost incurred.
- Develops the annual budget
- Ensures financial analysis on a regular basis to evaluate business performance on department level
- Develops long term financial plan in collaboration with MFI management
- Assumes responsibility for the day to day operations of the business to ensure efficiency and profitability
- Provide project planning and management i.e. team building, ensure that costs of all departments are kept under budget ensuring costs are managed within budget.
Develop and implement a coherent training needs analysis assessment and plan, creating a training and development program designed to provide a ‘Best in Class’ in customer service and professional skills that are transferable, measurable and quantifiable.
- Ensure maintenance and smooth running of operations at the MFI plant
- Ensure that professional standards are set and adhered to in accordance with the requirements of the regulatory bodies and other relevant criteria
- Customer Service: The Operations Manager serves as role model and sets the standard for all employees to maintain high-quality and consistent customer service. This requires an advanced knowledge of industry best practices and customer service.
- Communication: This position requires a commitment to details both verbally and non-verbally, therefore, the Operations Manager must encourage cooperative and consistent levels of communication with all staff and management
- Interpersonal Relationships: Must adapt to different personalities of clients, vendors and coworkers without losing focus. Must possess high professional ethics and avoid extreme familiarity or conflicts with others.
- Leadership and Management: Must understand and practice motivational management techniques. He or she must use these skills in wisely placing qualified individuals into key management and supervisory positions.
- Delegation: Delegate the appropriate tasks and manage staff workloads.
- Training and Development: Provide for instruction staff members and coach employees to improve learning and enhance performance.
- Problem Solving, Quality Control and Priority Assessment: Must evaluate current practices and processes; immediately recognize potential areas of conflict; and initiate ways to improve current business methods, quality of products and services provided to the customers.
- Conflict management: The Operations Manager must recognize a problem when it arises and be able to resolve it appropriately by using good judgment, tact and initiative according to company policy and procedure. Often requires the unbiased mediation skills to handle all types of conflicts that will occur at all levels of supervision and the ability to negotiate effectively.
- Information Gathering: Must identify and utilize internal and external sources to improve and maintain the company’s objectives.
- Sales Techniques and Customer Influence: Must understand products and services develop new prospects for opportunity, and understand customer needs clearly. Must also possess substantial experience and remain current in state-of-the-art sales methods. Must set and meet sales goals.
- Analytical Skills: Must use logic and reason to identify solutions and alternatives for a successful outcome in many situations, including cost/benefit analysis; service and product quality; and conflict resolution.
- Technical Skills: Must have experience and knowledge of budget analysis methods, general accounting skills.
- Flexibility: Must work overtime when needed and assist the workload of others.
- Advanced university degree (MBA) in finance (preferred)
- A first-level university degree/ qualified accountant in combination with qualifying experience
- A minimum of five (5) years of progressively responsible experience in a large cash and stock-based business, ideally in the food and beverages industry, in either financial controls or operations management.
- Experience in management position
In addition to appropriate qualifications, the integrity and trustworthiness of the candidate are of utmost importance.
An unblemished track record and strong references are therefore essential.
Interested candidates to email firstname.lastname@example.org by 18.00Hrs 30th March 2017