Nova Academies is looking for a superstar Head of Campus Operations to provide leadership in strategic planning and daily operations. The individual is accountable for directing the planning, development and implementation of all non-academic support services in the college, which include Academic Systems, Sports Activities, Boarding & Meal Services, Educational Technology, Library, IT Services, Facilities Management, Procurement, Finance and Administration.
The incumbent will ensure that support services are provided in an efficient and effective manner so that the school is better equipped to meet the students learning and social needs. This role reports to the Director of Operations.
Imagine a world in which every young person in Africa attends a school that truly sets them up for success in the 21st century. A school that demands excellence, helps students learn by doing and exploring rather than by memorizing, equips students with globally competitive science and technology skills, and builds the character and growth mindset that will shape the rest of their lives.
Now imagine that this school is not in one town, in one country, but in every town, in every country. This is what we imagine, and we want you to help make it happen.
About Nova Academies
One year ago we launched a new venture to build the first pan-African network of high-quality, affordable primary and secondary schools. As of 2017, we have five schools—three in South Africa and two in Kenya—and gearing up for rapid growth. Our venture is structured as a social enterprise to enable us to attract the investment that will be needed to launch 100 schools and reach tens of thousands of students in the next decade.
Our team culture is designed to reinforce our vision:
- We model the growth mindset we want our students to embody: you are challenged every day and, as a result, you grow more than at any other point in your life
- We pursue excellence in every detail and do whatever it takes to produce great work quickly
- We are radically open: we share tough messages and our own vulnerabilities because doing so helps us grow
- We put our students before our team, and our team before ourselves
- We bring infectious energy, enthusiasm and fun to everything we do because joy fuels the hardest work and learning
About the Role
- Initiate, plan and execute projects related to school goals – renovation, construction and new policies/systems
- Manage day to day operations and resolve campus related issues, concerns, and/or complaints with the support of campus operations team
- Serves as the primary liaison, on behalf of the Director of Operations, to area state agencies, external organizations and constituents
- Serves as a liaison to, and regularly communicates with, faculty, staff, students, and community members regarding Nova policies, procedures and processes
- Liaise with school leadership team on problem solving and executing important school priorities
- Works with campus departments and procurement team to forecast needs and acquire supplies, equipment and/or machinery necessary to ensure efficient operations
- Produces regular and ad hoc reports and analysis on activities and programs
- Reviews and prepares financial statements, activity reports, and other performance data to measure productivity and goal achievement and to determine areas needing program improvement.
- Helps to manage P/L for school, including managing budgets and tuition collection and payment
- Provides input to and coordinates with the other departments to ensure that adequate funds are proposed, budgeted, and tracked to ensure successful operations within the organization.
- Helps determines and communicate mid-level goals, strategic objectives, and priority actions related to operational procedures and policies
- Participates in strategic planning sessions with network team on operations playbook and hiring/managing best practices.
- Captures best practices and participates in knowledge sharing with ops teams on other campuses.
- Ensures adherence to standard policy and procedures when third parties are hired.
- Ensures that related administrative and legal formalities and documents are completed as needed.
- Ensures that any vendors or third party contractors comply with the agreed upon terms and conditions of their contract.
- Develops and leads the activities relating to license renewal with state agencies at local and national level to ensure that the campus is running in compliance with the laid out requirements
- Oversees and supervises support service staff, including: Facilities, properties, and vehicles, Janitorial services, building security, building maintenance, and transportation operations and maintenance, Campus security & Information technology (IT)
- You dream, live, eat Operations
- You possess a minimum of 8 years of related work experience preferably in business operations, project management, event management and/or finance operations
- Have at least 4 years spent in a supervisory/leadership role demonstrating progressive responsibility
- Have experience in a role requiring oversight of a quality assurance system
- Superior problem solving and planning skills
- A high degree of computer literacy
- Current knowledge of industry practices, trends and issues
- Experience in budget planning and implementation
- Highly developed organizational, communication and presentation skills
- Strong management or leadership skills as exhibited by experience in effectively leading a team and/or chairing committees
- Superior interpersonal skills as demonstrated by the ability to form professional relationships at all levels the organization and with appropriate external stakeholders
- Previous experience working in a higher education institution is preferred
- Overseas work experience within a multicultural environment would be advantageous
- Previous experience teaching, coordinating work placement within industry and current knowledge of educational technology is desirable
- Does working at Nova Academies excite you? If you’re a great fit, we will drop everything and call you immediately.
Where a copy of your resume is required, copying and pasting from a formatted document e.g. Microsoft Word® may not result in the formatting transferring correctly to the final resume. You are encouraged to attach your resume in Microsoft Word® or PDF format to protect formatting.
Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis until the right candidate is identified. Only qualified candidates will be invited for interviews. If you do not hear from us within 10 weeks of submitting your application, please consider your application unsuccessful.