Human Needs Project is seeking an experienced Facility Engineer to lead our Kibera Town Centre into full operational capacity.
Location: Kibera (Nairobi)
Job Description: The Town Centre uses innovative, clean technology to provide basic services (water and sanitation) as well as a range of empowerment services (adult education, IT, micro credit, health information, green market place and café services.)
You will be responsible for ensuring the smooth functioning of all technical systems in the Town Center facility, including borehole, delivery of clean water, waste water management system, solar systems and monitoring systems.
You will also be part of the team that ensures the financial, technical and environmental sustainability of the facility.
A key focus is quality control, particularly in maintenance and safety, and you will be coaching and training the managers in operations and management of the system.
As the Town Center is a social business, it encourages its employees to have an entrepreneurial mindset and continue be looking at ways to improve the business.
- Ensure the efficient ongoing operation of the facility infrastructure: physical plant, clean water delivery, wastewater management system, power sources (Kenya Power, generator, solar system and biodiesel) and monitoring systems.
- Inspect facility to ascertain its condition and prepare reports depicting the condition, deficiencies observed, designs necessary for repairs, and estimated cost of repairs.
- Be able to understand plans and specification documents.
- Be able to confirm and communicate plans, documents, and conditions of the facility
- Prioritize operations and maintenance issues, and develop budgets and schedules for them. Specify and implement maintenance plans to reduce downtime and reduce cost.
- Direct the activities of the managers and contractors in regards to facility operations and maintenance.
- Competently and safely use and train in the proper use all tools and equipment associated with operating the multi-use facility.
- Take direction from the General Manager, or other members of the HNP design team, and disseminate this information to the managers, and subcontractors.
- Conduct correspondence involving technical problems concerning structural engineering standards and code requirements.
- Ensure compliance with sound engineering practices and established standards, codes, and regulations.
- Determine which repairs can be carried out in-house and which require technical expertise outside of HNP.
- For repairs and renovations where outside contractors are needed:
- Oversee contracts and specifications for labor, materials and equipment, and secure bids from contractors.
- Schedule and oversee contractors and their work
- Inspects materials, workmanship, and architectural, mechanical and electrical installations for conformance to plans and specifications.
- Perform quality control in review of contractor’s work
- Coordinate material ordering and delivery
- Maintains records of progress, quantities, changes, delays, and other pertinent factors affecting construction projects.
- Resolves problems associated with projects.
- Ensures safety and security excellence within the facility. Conducts health and safety surveys of structures and maintains associated equipment.
- Builds HNP and Town Center image by creating and maintaining effective relationships with all collaborators, including customers, government, community organizations, academics and employees; enforce ethical business practices.
- Ensures good understanding of HNP policies, guidelines and SOPs and ensures that they are enforced at all times.
- Communicates values of Human Needs Project and the Town Center in all relationships, and ensures those values are upheld at all times. Cultivates an atmosphere of respect, trust and cooperation.
- Contributes to team effort as needed and communicates on a regular basis with HNP-Kenya and HNP-USA.
- Must understand intermediate math functions including Algebraic and Geometric equations
- Must be able to evaluate quotes against a control budget
- Must be able to interpret a variety of technical instructions as they relate to the construction process
- Must be able to draw valid conclusions from presented facts
- Confident, clear and effective communicator, including by email. Must be able to read with comprehension and write legibly in English
- Should be able to competently and safely use hand tools, power tools, understand electrical wiring, pump repair, plumbing & construction practices
- Be able to provide training to all managers and other crew members as necessary.
- Ability to effectively interact with management, other members of staff and vendors and contractors.
- Focus on action and achieving results
- Excellent problem solving skills to resolve equipment and facility infrastructure issues and improvements.
- Excellent organizational skills in the areas of project management, time management, and work prioritization.
- Excellent leadership skills including self-motivation, conflict resolution skills and team building skills.
- Ability to monitor the IT system a plus
Education, Experience, and Certification:
- Undergraduate degree in Engineering or relevant field
- Must have a minimum 2-4 years building maintenance experience with proven track record of project completions.
- Demonstrated managerial experience and abilities, as well as knowledge of water systems, electrical systems, building and equipment repair
- Demonstrated leadership of other people or other multi-functional groups.
Terms of Employment: Contract of 1 year, renewable AND probation period 3 months.
Terms as per Human Needs Project Scheme of service
Application to reach the undersigned NOT LATER than 10th of April 2017
Interested candidates should submit their Application to the Country Director, Human Needs Project via email email@example.com
Detailed resume and a letter stating why interested in and qualified for the job, current position, remuneration, e-mail / contact address, telephone number, addresses of three References and Copies of Certificates and Testimonials.