Institute of Certified Public Accountants of Kenya (ICPAK)
Career Opportunity: Technical Services Officer (Accounting and Auditing Standards)
Job Ref: ICPAK 002/2017
The Institute of Certified Public Accountants of Kenya (ICPAK) which was established in 1978 is the professional organization for Certified Public Accountants in Kenya.
ICPAK draws its mandate from the Accountants Act No. 15 of 2008 and has been dedicated to the development and regulation of the accountancy profession in Kenya to enhance its contribution and that of its members to national economic growth and development.
In its endeavour on institutional strengthening, ICPAK is seeking to recruit a dynamic, self-driven and results oriented individual to fit in a team that will propel it to a World Class Professional Accountancy Institute.
Job Summary: Reporting to the Technical Services Manager (Accounting and Auditing standards) in the Technical Services Unit (Accounting and Auditing standards) of the Professional Services Division, the Technical Services Officer (Accounting and Auditing standards) will be responsible for providing support to the development, implementation and promotion of accounting and auditing professional standards issued by the Institute and monitoring the regulatory environment affecting the accountancy profession, and other activities as shall be specified by the Technical Services Manager (Accounting and Auditing standards).
The position requires a person who is ‘hands-on’, highly organized, able to work with minimum supervision, and has excellent communication, teamwork and interpersonal skills.
Essential duties and responsibilities shall include those listed below; other incidental duties may be allocated from time to time:
The duties and responsibilities include among others:
1. Enhance participation in the International Federation of Accountants (IFAC) and the International Accounting Standards Board (IASB) activities
- Participate in consultative meetings with relevant stakeholders to brainstorm on documents open for public comments.
- Assist in the review of draft comments prepared by other team members before they are shared with Professional Standards Committee for review and approval.
- Respond to questionnaires and other forms of surveys issued by Accounting and Auditing standard setters.
2. Promote the development of the Accountancy profession in the region
- Contribute in collating ICPAK responses to technical queries raised by sister institutes within the East Africa Community (EAC).
- Answering to technical queries on Accounting and Auditing standards raised by ICPAK members.
- Develop draft Technical Guidelines on thematic areas relevant to the profession and provide technical (Accounting and Auditing standards) assistance in responding to technical queries received by the Institute.
- Participate in the review and updating of the FAQs (Frequently asked Questions) on technical areas for posting on ICPAK website.
- Identify and prepare articles for publication in the technical e-newsletter on International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS), International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS) for SMEs, International Public Sector Accounting Standards (IPSAS), Ethics and committees’ updates
- Develop survey tools and undertake basic surveys on the value of technical e-newsletter to members
- Assist and support in the preparation of the practitioners’ forum, new practitioners’ induction, Practitioners’ training and other forums as assigned from time to time.
- Participate in the development and review of technical content for e-learns. This shall be done once the e-learn platform is available.
- Participate in the research on topical areas relevant to the Accountancy profession in Kenya and Globally.
3. Promote and implement quality standards in financial reporting, audit and other areas relevant to the Accountancy profession
- Participate in the review of published interim and annual financial statements of listed entities and other Public Interest Entities (PIEs) for any unwarranted non-compliance and submit findings for review and consideration.
- Participate in deliberations to review FiRe (Financial Reporting) Award evaluation tools when necessary.
- Prepare summary report of non-compliance issues noted during the FiRe Award for review
- Review annual reports and financial statements to highlight areas of non-compliance and provide recommendations to Technical Services Manager.
- Support the consultants in the enhancement of FiRe Award tools.
- Review and prepare feedback reports to public sector and private sector entities that participate in FiRe Award.
- Assist in data analysis arising from survey assignments on IFRS.
- Participate in the development of ICPAK submissions on legislations
that impact the Accountancy profession.
- Participate in the review and update of illustrative financial statements for Saccos’, Commercial banks, Insurance and the General purpose financial statements
4. Enhance overall compliance by members to professional standards, codes, rules and regulations
- Enhance compliance by members to professional standards, codes, rules and regulations through forums and other modes of communication.
- Support ICPAK Trainee Accountants Practical Experience Framework (TAPEF).
- Support the compliance team in undertaking Audit Quality Reviews (AQR).
- Provide technical assistance and support to consultants reviewing and enhancing framework for audit of donor funded projects and auditing on behalf of the office of the auditor general.
- Participate in the AQR project of the institute
5. Enhance financial planning and control systems Instituting a strong Institutional management structure
- Contribute to the enhancement of technical services policy and procedure manual.
- Identify risks in the unit jointly with the unit risk champion.
- Monitor compliance with ICPAK Service Charter
- Contribute to making ICPAK a safe working environment.
- Other related duties as allocated by supervisor.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Information Communication Technology (ICT) savvy
- Strong organizational skills
- Project management skills, with ability to work under tight deadlines and manage multiple work streams concurrently
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Analytical skills
The successful candidate shall demonstrate the following personal attributes:
- Ability to manage multiple tasks, organize priorities and meet deadlines
- Capable of working in a team and with others at all levels of the organization, as well as with external stakeholders, and across multiple cultures
- Strong sense of responsibility and ability to work with minimal supervision
- Flexible and able to handle changing priorities while remaining calm under pressure
- Proactive, service-oriented attitude
- Able to analyze and synthesize large amounts of information into summaries
- Competency in accounting packages
Qualifications and experience:
- A holder of Bachelor’s degree in Commerce, Business Management or its equivalent
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA) and a member of ICPAK in good standing
- A minimum of five (5) years working experience
- At least four (4) years relevant work experience (e.g., in accounting professional practice, accounting and audit standards setting, a professional accountancy organization, office of the auditor general or accounting environment).
How to Apply:
Interested candidates should submit their application letter and CV in pdf format clearly indicating the position applied for, current and expected salary to the following: email@example.com
Applications should be received on or before close of business on Friday, 31st March, 2017.
ICPAK is an equal opportunity employer and qualified applicants from all backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.