The International Center for Tropical Agriculture (CIAT; www.ciat.cgiar.org) seeks to recruit a Technical Advisor, to be based at its Ethiopia Country Office in Addis Ababa located at the International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) campus.
CIAT is one of the 15 non-profit centers that are members of the CGIAR Consortium. This global research partnership operates primarily through CGIAR Research Programs, CRPs, which are designed to deliver tangible benefits for the rural poor on a large scale. Within this framework, CIAT participates actively in the CGIAR Water, Land and Ecosystems (WLE) Research Program, to which the ”technical Advisor” position is connected (www.pim.cgiar.org).
The candidate will have interdisciplinary skills that will enable her/him work closely with colleagues in social, biological and physical sciences. She/he should also be equipped with modelling tools for integrating socio-economic and ecological variables. Some of the research/development areas the researcher is expected to contribute include:
- Conduct integrated socio-ecological modelling to identify best-fit technologies that promote agricultural system transition to productive and eco-efficient state;
- Map and quantity the multiple functions and service supply of landscapes to develop sustainable restoration and management options;
- Design and implement integrated water resources development and management practices to enhance soil moisture and promote small-scale irrigation;
- Identify best-bet site- and context-specific soil management options to enhance soil health, improve productivity while reducing agriculture’s impact on ecosystems;
- Identify and evaluate socio-economic, biophysical, policy, institutional drivers/enabling factors needed for sustainable implementation and adoptions of land-soil-water management options;
- Develop tools and suitable indicators to assess landscape ecosystem health and evaluate the eco-efficiency and sustainability of management interventions including tradeoffs and synergies;
- Contribute towards understanding interactions and feedbacks of processes at plot-farm-landscape levels (including material flows) and devise approaches for integrated analysis following systems approach;
- Establish and enhance partnership across the region and globally to promote CIAT’s activities;
- Participate in fund raising activities in collaboration with CIAT colleagues and other partners;
- Supervise PhD and MSc students as well as interns associated with CIAT and partners;
- Publish quality products in appropriate avenues.
Position level: 4A
Duty Station: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Minimum Base salary:
Birr 50,330 per month (Negotiable depending on experience, skill and salary history of the candidate)
Terms of appointment:
Initial appointment is for two years renewable appointment based on performance and funding availability. CIAT offers a multicultural, collegial research environment with competitive salary and excellent benefits in line with ILRI salary applicable for its Nationally Recruited Staff. CIAT is an international and equal opportunity organization and believes that diversity of its staff contributes to excellence.
The ILRI campus is set in a secure, attractive campus on the outskirts of Addis Ababa. Dining and sports facilities are located on site.
Applicants should provide a cover letter and curriculum vitae; names and addresses (including telephone and email) of three referees who are knowledgeable about the candidate’s professional qualifications and work experience to be included in the curriculum vitae.
The position and reference number: TA/08/17 should be clearly indicated in the subject line of the cover letter.
All applications to be submitted online on our recruitment portal: http://ilri.simplicant.com/ on or before 24 March 2017.