The Independent Medico-Legal Unit (IMLU) is a governance, health and human rights non-profit making organization, whose vision is A Just World Free from Torture, Violence and Discrimination.
Our work is underpinned by a holistic approach involving litigation, medical and psychosocial rehabilitation of survivors of torture, monitoring government adherence to its human rights obligations and advocacy for policy, legal and institutional reforms.
Over the last two decades we have assisted over 5,000 victims of torture, cruel, degrading and inhuman treatment through the support of our national networks of professionals: doctors, trauma counselors, lawyers, paralegals, human rights monitors and journalists.
To support IMLU’s Vision 2021 that entails strengthening the social movement against torture, violence and discrimination, we are looking for a highly motivated individual for the role below:
Job Title: Program Officer – Forensic Medical Documentation & Rehabilitation
Location: Nairobi with frequent travel Reporting to Program Manager Duration 1 year
Closing: 10th April 2017
Overall Purpose of the Job: Responsible for IMLU’s management of its torture survivors’ forensic medical documentation and rehabilitation services and advises the Programme Manager and the Executive Director on Forensic medical documentation and rehabilitation issues pertaining to IMLU’s mandate.
Responsible for coordinating, renewing and capacity building of IMLU national network of medical and forensic medical professionals.
Responsible for expanding IMLU’s regional and international presence and influence.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Documentation and Rehabilitation
- Make preliminary medical examination of torture survivors
- Coordinate medical rehabilitation (treatment) of torture survivors.
- Coordinate clinical forensic examinations and forensic autopsies for survivors and victims of torture.
- Receive and analyze medical reports presented by network doctors for quality control
- Maintain linkages with counselors for psychological rehabilitation
- Track all cases undergoing medical rehabilitation
2. Programme Management
- Design forensic medical documentation and rehabilitation projects
- Develop programme proposals, budgets and work plans
- Lead in the implementation of all medical documentation and rehabilitation programme activities
- Coordinate the network of medical professionals providing medical documentation and rehabilitation services
- Review and update forensic medical documentation tools
- Ensure effective documentation of all rehabilitation activities
- Provide rehabilitation information to other departments in IMLU
- Monitor and evaluate the documentation and rehabilitation programme activities
- Report on the medical documentation and rehabilitation programme in accordance to IMLU and donor requirements
- Resource mobilization for the programme
3. Networking Development
- Continuous capacity development of IMLU network of doctors, pathologists and other medical personnel
- Recruitment of new doctors, pathologists and other personnel to IMLU network of medical professionals
- Establish and implement network communication strategy to keep the network energized and informed through regular communication and involvement in relevant IMLU activities
- Establish and maintain strong linkages between IMLU forensic medical work and other regional and international networks
- Sustain and renew IMLU’s regional and international presence and influence
If you believe you are passionate and committed to human rights and have the experience and qualifications we are looking for, please send your application letter and CV, including your current salary, expected remuneration, three professional referees and day time telephone contacts to: firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject matter PROGRAM OFFICER – FORENSIC MEDICAL DOCUMENTATION by 4pm, Friday, 10th April, 2017.