The Kenya Conference of Catholic Bishops
The Kenya Conference of Catholic Bishops (KCCB) – General Secretariat is the National Administrative, facilitative and Coordinative arm through which KCCB undertakes all those responsibilities which express the KCCB mission in Kenya. KCCB is the prime recipient of the grant entitled Kenya AIDS Response Program (KARP) awarded by Centers of Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) in March 2011 under the U.S. President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR) concentrates on HIV prevention, care and treatment Western Kenya Region. KCCB-KARP is seeking candidates for the following positions.
Reports to: Report directly to the Board, KCCB Ad Hoc Commission on AIDS Relief
Reporting directly to the Board of Ad hoc Commission for AIDS Relief, the internal audit position will independently evaluate the adequacy and effectiveness of the governance, risk management and control systems within KCCB KARP. S/he will provide regular feedback to KARP management on the effectiveness of these systems, together with costed and detailed action plans to address any areas of weakness or non-compliance.
S/he will play a leading role in supporting internal and external audits while also supporting Local Partner Treatment Facilities (LPTFs) to strengthen their compliance with donor and KCCB rules and regulations.
S/he will manage the risk register and report regularly on mitigation actions taken against agreed indicators; the review of policies and systems required to support the management of risk; the independent investigation of key areas of concern that arise; and review of Board compliance.
Description of Key Duties
- Lead, plan, conduct, report and follow up internal audit assignments on time, to a high standard and within budget.
- Develop an annual plan to undertake quarterly reviews in each of the KCCB KARP’s 5 main areas of operation: Western, Siaya, Kisumu, Homabay and Kisii/Migori.
- Assist in evaluating internal control issues affecting both program and support operations for potential risk exposures; participate in monitoring of the control environment and identifying significant control issues.
- Assist in developing, implementing and maintaining a risk-based audit plan to address controls necessary for achievement of KCCB KARP’s strategic, operational and programmatic objectives.
- Coordinate across internal teams and external resources to provide assurance of internal controls over key operational, financial management, business processes, information systems, compliance and reporting functions of KCCB KARP.
- Complete periodic reviews of LPTFs and KCCB KARP’s Accounting/Finance and Procurement procedures and guidelines; develop recommendations on improving and re-defining policies and procedures to enhance internal controls, compliance and internal/external reporting.
- Participate in conducting risk assessment reviews and regular site visits to implementing partners to evaluate and monitor internal control systems and assess compliance.
- Perform internal review engagements (including planning, fieldwork, exit meetings, reporting and monitoring of recommendations), as directed by Program Director.
- Provide periodic reports on internal audit activity, including summaries of observations, findings and recommendations impacting KCCB KARP’s control environment.
- Contribute to the development of a training program and conduct trainings to KCCB KARP program and support staff and implementing partner organizations, including training on fraud risk, prevention and detection, internal controls and process improvements.
- Continuously reinforce effective utilization of KCCB KARP’s core accounting, procurement and other business systems to ensure transparency and accountability in reporting workflows, internal controls and compliance.
- Provide analytical support to external audit matters, including donor directed statutory and financial audits, local government audits, reviews and inquiries.
- Manage the Risk Register ensuring that top key risks are identified by KCCB KARP’s management. Ensure that these strategic risks are reviewed regularly and that the relevant content owners follow up on their respective action points in a timely manner.
- Build the capacity of KCCB KARP staff to understand and apply relevant KCCB policies (fraud, whistleblowing, procurement, finance, etc.), donor compliance regulations and Government of Kenya legislation. Deliver workshops and presentations as required to disseminate information and to train staff.
- Any other duties that may be reasonably assigned.
Academic Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Commerce, Finance, Business Administration or any other relevant discipline.
- Hold a recognized professional accounting certification (e.g. CPA, ACMA, CGMA, ACA, ACCA, CIPFA, IIA).
- Be a registered with a professional body
- Minimum of four years external or internal auditing experience.
- High integrity
- Detail oriented.
- Good interpersonal skills.
- Strong ability to manage multiple priorities
- Result oriented
- Good knowledge of Social teachings of the Church and Ethical Principles
Applications should be addressed to:-
The General Secretary
Kenya Conference of Catholic Bishops
P.O Box 13475-00800
To reach him on or before 24th March 2017
Candidates to only submit application letters and CV’s. Academic certificates and testimonials will be needed if candidates are shortlisted.
NB: Please include the Position Title you are applying for in the subject line of your email.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted