Job Vacancy: Quality Improvement Advisor
Jacaranda Health’s mission is to transform maternal healthcare in East Africa with high-quality, low-cost, and respectful maternity service.
We do this by innovating in order to deliver evidence-based best practices in maternity service delivery at low cost to patients, operating a core network of maternity hospitals that serve as centres of excellence.
We then share the methodology and knowledge we’ve applied with the public sector, capacitating them to provide outstanding services.
This journey began in 2013, when we started bringing together a small team of quality improvement (QI) experts, including one of the few six sigma black belts practicing in healthcare in Kenya.
We explored the potential of a QI model to help us achieve our vision, working initially in our own Jacaranda maternity hospitals.
Based on our own impressive results across multiple performance indicators, we established a partnership with our local Government County seeking to train and support nominated public sector facilities in securing similar improvements.
This early pilot yielded some great outcomes and the County quickly identified new facilities for us to work with. This expansion in demand means we are now ready to grow our team of QI experts.
Our ultimate vision is to position ourselves as a leader in the emerging quality landscape in Kenya and build a team that can bring QI to the 131 district hospitals that deliver the majority of the babies in Kenya.
Overall Purpose: The Quality Improvement Advisor will work with other members of Jacaranda Health’s Quality Improvement team to support the execution of our external QI partnerships, engage in our Community of Practice for QI Champions, and help us realize our vision in the longer term.
Duties and Responsibilities
Work requirements and tasks will be guided by the department’s Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) and which are reviewed periodically but will fall broadly in the following Key Responsibility Areas (KRAS)
1. Enable and support the execution of QI Public Sector Partnerships through:
a. Designing and conducting QI training at the partner public hospitals and facilitating the execution of relevant, measureable and sustainable quality improvement projects working alongside QI teams in each facility.
b. helping develop capacity, systems and an organizational structure that enable the ongoing application of QI
c. Serving as one of the contact persons for Jacaranda Health with partner public hospitals and providing on-going coaching for public hospital QI team members to ensure smooth execution of QI work
2. Help lead a QI Community of Practice for QI practitioners in Kenya
3. Provide internal training and decision-making support to managers and clinical staff on continuous performance measurement and quality improvement activities
4. Work with the data team internally and the M&E team externally to track and interpret key data for performance improvement and wider learning
5. Develop internal hospital-level quality champions to become mature QI advisors
6. Document QI efforts for public dissemination and for publication in refereed journals
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Formal training in Quality Improvement (e.g. Lean Six Sigma Black Belt, Institute for Healthcare Improvement’s Improvement Advisors Course,)
- At least 3 years’ experience of working independently as a Quality Improvement Advisor/Black Belt in healthcare in a low-resource setting
- Strong IT literacy and application of statistical process control methodology
- Application of Monitoring and Evaluation strategies
- Demonstrated ability to facilitate teams in clinical settings in low resource countries
- Trained and practiced as Doctor/Midwife /Social Scientist/Public Health Specialist
- Masters-level education in relevant field
Please send your application cover letter, curriculum vitae with three references via email to email@example.com with Quality Improvement Advisor as the Email Subject by 20th March 2017.
Kindly include your expected remuneration and availability in your application.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.