Kenya Girl Guides Association (KGGA)
Vacancy: Chief Executive Officer
The Kenya Girl Guides Association (KGGA) is a member organization of the World Association of Girl Guides and Girl Scouts (WAGGGS). KGGA is one of the largest youth Associations in Kenya.
KGGA operates through a value based program and has a national membership of girls and young women representing every race, ethnicity, culture, class and religion in Kenya.
The Association is looking to fill the position of Chief Executive Officer who will be reporting to Chief Commissioner of the Organization.
Job Objectives: Shape and lead on the delivery of the vision for KGGA’s service to girls and young women and inspire extraordinary volunteers to ensure they can deliver a first-class guiding experience to over 1,000,000 girls and young women in Kenya.
Work in partnership with the Board to provide vision and leadership for KGGA and lead the organisation’s staff team.
The post holder will also ensure KGGA continues to achieve its mission, and will be an active ambassador for our dynamic organisation.
- To advocate for Girl Guides; the “voice” for girls at the local, regional and national levels; understanding of critical issues affecting girls’ lives, navigating between traditional girl guides and building for the future;
- Create and communicate a clear and compelling vision for the Association in alignment with the mission;
- To market, develop the membership and promote the organization and grow membership market share;
- To lead and oversee the implementation of the Organisation’s long and short term plans in accordance with its strategy;
- To ensure the Organization is appropriately organized and staffed and to have the authority to hire and terminate staff as necessary to enable it to achieve the approved strategy;
- To ensure revenue is generated in line with the Organizational targets.
- To ensure that expenditures of the Organisation are within the authorized annual budget of the Organisation;
- To assess the principal risks of the Organisation and to ensure that these risks are being monitored and managed;
- To ensure effective internal controls and management information systems are in place;
- To ensure that the Organisation has appropriate systems to enable it to conduct its activities both lawfully and ethically;
- To ensure that the Organisation maintains high standards of corporate citizenship and social responsibility wherever it does business;
- To act as a liaison between management and the Board; to communicate effectively with employees, Government authorities, other stakeholders and the public;
- To keep abreast of all material undertakings and activities of the Organization and all material external factors affecting the Organization and to ensure that processes and systems are in place to ensure that the management of the Organization are adequately informed;
- To ensure that the Directors are properly informed and that sufficient information is provided to the Board to enable the Directors to form appropriate judgments;
- To ensure the integrity of all public disclosure by the Organisation;
- In concert with the Chairman, to develop Board agendas;
- To request that special meetings of the Board be called when appropriate;
- In concert with the Chairman, to determine the date, time and location of the annual meeting of shareholders and to develop the agenda for the meeting;
- To sit on committees of the Board where appropriate as determined by the Board; and
- To abide by specific internally established control systems and authorities, to lead by personal example and encourage all employees to conduct their activities in accordance with all applicable laws and the Organisation’s standards and policies, including its environmental, safety and health policies.
Education: A Bachelor’s Degree is required with a minimum of 7 years experience in a senior management position.
As Chief Executive Officer, this individual demonstrates critical competencies in four broad categories: commitment to results, business savvy, leading change, and motivating.
Qualifications and Experience
Commitment to results: The Chief Executive Officer is a systems thinker who is customer focused and goal driven.
This individual identifies relevant information and helps transform this information into individual and organizational knowledge and learning.
The chief executive is action oriented and innovative. S/he translates broad goals into achievable steps.
S/he anticipates and solves problems and takes advantage of opportunities, is a self-starter and team player.
Business savvy: As leader, this position requires an individual with knowledge of and experience in management and administration.
The position requires demonstrated experience in integrating and coordinating diverse areas of management.
- Knowledge in the following areas is required: human services, finance and personnel; oral and written communications; planning and evaluation; and governance.
- Some experience in the field of philanthropy, not-for-profit management and governance, and community relations is preferred. Some general knowledge of fund development is also preferred.
- A high level of personal skills is required to make formal, persuasive presentations to groups and to deal effectively with people from all segments of the community.
- The individual must be comfortable with diversity and respectful of a wide range of faiths, beliefs and experiences.
Leading change: The chief executive possesses the skills and implements the functions of a leader. S/he shares KGGA’s values, mission and vision.
S/he consistently displays integrity, models behavior, develops people, and builds teams. This individual deals effectively with demanding situations and designs and implements interventions.
Motivating: The chief executive manages continuity, change and transition. This individual knows how to influence and enable others.
S/he addresses the impact of attitude and action on KGGA and its stakeholders. Excellent communication and public speaking skills.
How to Apply
Please submit a cover letter illustrating your suitability for the position together with a detailed CV to firstname.lastname@example.org by 29th March 2017.
Indicate CEO in the Subject Line.
Late applications or hard copies will not be considered.
Please note: At no point in the entire recruitment process shall the candidate have to pay any money as a condition of engagement.
Only shortlisted candidates will have their applications acknowledged.