Call for Proposals
Consultancy Title: Negotiation and Mediation Training Consultant
Project Location(s): Select Sub-counties in Nakuru, Kisumu and Nandi Counties, travel required
Duration: 40 days
Background: Mercy Corps works almost exclusively in conflict and post-conflict environments. We currently have programs in 42 countries; the vast majority of these are considered at high or moderately high risk for instability.
While we recognize the difficulties operating in these environments, we believe that transitional environments offer tremendous opportunities for positive change.
Since the late 1990s, Mercy Corps has implemented more than 100 peacebuilding programs in over 30 countries with specific emphasis on people-to-people approaches.
Mercy Corps is implementing an 18 month Kenya Election Violence Prevention and Response program (KEVP) supported by the US State Departments, Conflict and Stabilization operations (CSO) to mitigate the risk of escalation of election-related violence in the lead up to, during, and immediately following the Kenyan elections currently scheduled for August 2017 in three Counties: Kisumu, Nakuru and Nandi.
Purpose / Project Description: As part of its strategy, to facilitate effective constituency and county level complaints and dialogue processes, Mercy Corps plans to train members of IESCs, Youth bunge members, government officials, community leaders, CSO leaders, police and other volunteers in interest-based negotiation and mediation and build a network of negotiators and mediators to help deal with local election disputes, ease tensions within communities both before, during and after the elections, and foster agreements among political parties at the ward, constituency and county level.
The trained individuals will also work to persuade candidates to sign peace pledges in the run-up to the elections — assuring that they will refrain from violence and ethnic based campaigning, and that they will accept the results of the elections.
Profile of the Consultant:
The consultant shall have the following skills and experiences:
- Highly knowledgeable of election conflicts and violence in Kenya and specifically in the counties of Kisumu, Nakuru and Nandi.
- Experienced trainer with extensive skills in participatory training approaches and curriculum development.
- Experienced negotiator/mediator with proven past experience
- Extensive knowledge in conflict, peacebuilding and electoral processes
- Minimum 5 years work experience in related field
- Highly developed analytical and writing skills
Expression of Interest
Qualified persons interested in undertaking this assignment should send an Expression of Interest consisting of:
- A short proposal on how the assignment will be undertaken (The proposal must be concise and straight to the point adhering to the timeframe)
- A clear work plan
- Curriculum vitae of the key expert(s)/trainer(s)
- Applications by organizations to include a brief history of the organization and relevant experience
All proposals will assessed on the following criteria:
Proposals in sealed envelopes should be dropped at the Mercy Corps Nairobi Office at ABC Place, Building 3, and 1st Floor on or before March 17, 2017, 3pm.
Applicants seeking clarifications on this bid should send their questions/queries to firstname.lastname@example.org by 10:00 am Tuesday March 14, 2017.