Mercy Corps is a leading global relief and development agency saving and improving lives in the world’s toughest places.
In more than 40 countries, we partner with local people to put bold ideas into action, help them overcome adversity and build stronger communities.
We help communities survive and move beyond emergencies. When natural disasters strike, economies collapse or conflict flares, Mercy Corps is there.
Working with communities, we leverage local logic to help people transform their lives to grow more food, earn higher incomes and ultimately advocate for their needs.
We see global challenges as an invitation to pioneer innovative, sustainable solutions.
Mercy Corps is looking for a qualified, committed, and dynamic individual to take up the following position.
Position: Monitoring & Evaluation Officer
Location: Lodwar, Turkana County
Program / Department Summary: Mercy Corps implements high-quality, analytical development work in very difficult places.
We have been operating in Kenya since 2008 and are presently implementing development programs across the Central, Rift Valley, North Western and Northern Eastern regions of Kenya.
We are currently implementing a 3-year Nike Foundation funded program, focused on improving livelihoods in Turkana and West Pokot (Kenya) and Karamoja (Uganda) regions.
The project, called Girls Improving Resilience with Livestock (GIRL), aims to empower pastoralist girls in the Turkana region to improve their livelihoods and personal agency, as well as increase the food security and adaptive capacity of their households and the resilience of their communities.
Mercy Corps is looking for a qualified professional to fill the position of Monitoring & Evaluation Officer for the GIRL program.
General Position Summary: This position is a key role on Mercy Corps’ Program quality assurance, accountability, documentation and learning team.
The position holder will support program in planning and execution of monitoring and evaluation activities, ensuring quality in accordance with accepted standards, providing essential feedback for learning, accountability and decision making.
S/he will be responsible for providing internal capacity building for program staff on monitoring and evaluation activities as well as review and development of necessary tools that feed into the needs of Mercy Corps and donor reporting requirements.
Essential Job Functions:
- Generate and implement monitoring and evaluation tools;
- Play key role in the development of intervention designs, sector strategies and M&E frameworks;
- Coordinate assessments, evaluations and monitoring surveys in area of operation. This will entail development of Scopes of Work, development of survey tools, trainings and management of data collectors, report write and facilitating results discussion;
- Regularly document and share all learnings from program implementation;
- Maintain an up to date database that reflects progress and donor indicators;
- Build the capacity of all relevant team members to develop and maintain an excellent M&E system, and facilitate periodic reflection and analysis of program monitoring information that feeds into programming and learning;
- Participate in on-going M&E training and support for all Mercy Corps programs;
- Visit sites and partners to collect supplementary data, stories and conduct qualitative research both independently and in teams;
- Maintain professional relationships with local government officials, private sector partners, NGOs, other development organizations, and civil society organizations;
- Maintain an active advisory role with the program team to help guide them towards robust and relevant data collection;
- Actively participate in all implementation, providing advice and feedback for quality results at any point;
- Work with Program Coordinator, Program Manager, Program Officer and other staffs to ensure that activities are implemented on plan and progress towards targets is not compromised;
- Establish and maintain strong working relationships with partners and government departments;
- Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and to not jeopardize its humanitarian mission;
- Other duties as assigned.
Supervisory Responsibility: None
Reports Directly To: Program Manager in the Lodwar Field Office
Works Directly With: All Program and Operations staff in Lodwar and GIRL Program staff in Kapenguria and Karamoja.
Knowledge and Experience:
- Must hold at least a bachelor’s degree in Economics, Agricultural Economics; Demography, Statistics, Business administration or relevant field;
- At least 3 years of program monitoring and evaluation experience;
- Should understand concepts and demonstrate skills in monitoring and evaluation, project cycle, results chain and frameworks, participatory monitoring;
- Should be able to design and implement surveys, have knowledge of commonly used probability and purposive sampling techniques;
- Must have good writing and analytical skills;
- Should have knowledge of quantitative and qualitative data collection, reporting techniques. S/he should understand and be able to apply basic measures of central tendency and spread;
- In addition to Microsoft Excel, the incumbent should demonstrate fluency in use of at least one data management software including Ms Access, SPSS, STATA;
- Must be fluent both spoken and written English;
- Nga’turkana language skills is a plus.
Success Factors: The ideal candidate will have the ability and curiosity to work comfortably and effectively in the cultural, relatively poor infrastructure of Turkana County.
S/he will be an excellent communicator, have a strong sense of humor, multi-tasker, and able to work difficult and often stressful environments.
How to Apply
Interested candidates who meet the above required qualifications and experience should submit a cover letter and detailed Curriculum Vitae (CV) listing three professional references (including a recent supervisor) to firstname.lastname@example.org on or before Friday 31st March, 2017 by 4.00pm.
The email subject line must clearly show the job title and location they are applying for.
Applications without an appropriate subject heading will be automatically disqualified.
Please do not attach any certificates.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
NB: We do not charge any fees at any stage of the recruitment process.