Description: Designed, engineered and built in Kenya, Mobius Motors sells highly durable, highly affordable vehicles for Africa’s mass market.
Versatile, rugged and durable it is designed for African cities whilst still being extremely capable off-road.
We are seeking an exceptional and experienced automotive professional to be responsible for all engineering issues related to vehicle production process.
The role will require a close working relationship with Design, Engineering, Cost Engineering, Supply Chain as well as the broader Mobius team.
Specific duties include, but are not limited to:
- Work alongside production staff and technicians to develop, install and maintain equipment used in the manufacturing process.
- Develop, evaluate and continuously improve manufacturing methods, utilising knowledge of product design, materials, fabrication processes, tooling and production equipment capabilities, assembly methods and quality standards.
- Investigate and resolve operational problems such as material use variances and bottlenecks. Develop action plans or contingencies for line stoppage and repair plans.
- Work with quality personnel to determine root causes of failures using statistical methods and recommend changes in product designs, tolerances, machine tooling and process methods.
- Identify and implement methods to improve safety of manufacturing operations.
- Give training and technical support on new machines and processes, applying industry health and safety practices.
- Draft manufacturing documentation including PFMEA, control plans, process documentation and formal quality standards.
- Perform Value Add / Value Engineering. Generate cost reduction ideas through identification of process/product efficiencies that will reduce overall costs. Work with all stakeholders to achieve cost reduction targets.
- Provide guidance to the Technical and Supply teams for proposed new or modified designs to achieve required function at minimum cost.
- Lead and facilitate production review sessions. Report risks and opportunities of production status on a weekly basis.
- Take ownership of projects; plan milestones, timelines, budgets, resources and identify potential risks to deliver production aspects within agreed completion dates.
- Be proactive regarding task completion and periodically advise wider team on project status, timing, resources, issues, and ability to deliver on-time with excellence.
- Ensure adherence and compliance to general automotive industry production standards and best practices; maintain structured and versioned data outputs daily and backup data weekly.
- Work as an active member of the team, ensure effective communication between colleagues and positively contribute regularly to meetings and briefings.
An ideal candidate should combine outstanding technical skills with excellent interpersonal and communication skills to work effectively with a multidisciplinary team.
They should be rigorous, pragmatic and on-the-ground solution focussed – not overly academic.
- Bachelor degree (minimum) in Engineering, Manufacturing Engineering, Process Engineering or similar
- 2-3 years of volume manufacturing and assembly experience in automotive or heavy industrial
- Solid knowledge of vehicle parts and subsystems and knowledge of part interaction
- Ability to read and evaluate mechanical drawings and technical product specifications
- Strong familiarity with mechanical tools and their use in fabrication, measurement and assembly
- Ability to troubleshoot, fabricate and/or repair machines and mechanical assemblies
- Practical knowledge of VE and VA techniques, lean concepts, and quality tools and standards (ISO/ QS9000)
- High level of design awareness and strong mechanical aptitude
- Knowledge of fastener and torque strategy
- Knowledge of jig design, design software and machine programming
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- High level of analytical and problem solving skills
- Ability to self-manage; taking ownership of projects: budgeting, work planning, resource management and reporting
Email your application to email@example.com