Job Vacancy: Land Steward
The heart of Mpala Wildlife Foundation’s mission is to preserve and protect the 47,000 acres of the Mpala Conservancy as a safe and welcoming place for wildlife and as a campus for teaching and research.
We also intend to be a force for good in the greater Laikipia community, helping the people of this region with employment and economic development, skills and educational development, accessible healthcare, and conservation knowledge to aid sustainable lifestyles and resource use.
Mpala is located on the Laikipia Plateau in north central Kenya, just north of the equator, northwest of Mt. Kenya and at an elevation between 1700-2000 m above sea level. Mpala covers 47,000 acres of savannah and dry woodland habitats and is bordered by the Ewaso Ngiro and the Ewaso Narok rivers.
There are vast expanses of low lying plains, covered with thorny scrub where unique rocky kopjes majestically rise above the skyline.
It is home to nearly 7,000 elephants, the world’s 4th largest African wild dog population, and the globally endangered Grevy’s zebra. These large populations of wildlife mingle alongside herds of livestock as they traverse between private and pastoralist ranches. Within its 200 km2 of unfenced landscape, Mpala incorporates livestock grazing, wildlife, and research all in one.
The Mpala Research Centre is situated on Mpala Conservancy Land. The Mpala Research Centre (MRC) receives hundreds of students, educators, and scientists from around the globe each year, conducting research on everything from parasites to elephants.
The unique set up of Mpala allows for researchers to use the land as a ‘living laboratory’ in which to conduct experiments and answer pressing questions on conservation and wildlife. Fifteen dams have been constructed on Mpala, and there are more than 250km of internal roads and two airstrips.
Mpala operates a primary school for children of its employees through standard grade five and a health clinic for employees and their families. There are about 90 staff members who support the operations: security rangers, cattle herders, teachers, nurses, and machine operators.
Mpala Wildlife Foundation (MWF) is seeking a high performing and results oriented Land Steward to provide overall management that builds the capacity and sustainability of Mpala’s land and natural resources
- Oversee efficient, effective and financially sustainable operational programs.
- Examine options to improve ecological resilience and economic returns; and, where feasible, implement revenue diversification and support community initiatives that improve health, education and economic self-sufficiency.
- Work with Mpala Research Centre (MRC) to ensure effective coordination of their research and education projects with MWF activities on Mpala.
- Manage day-to-day operations, including: water management, solar, hydro and generator electrical management; road and airstrip management, protection of our boundaries and wildlife conservation.
- Manage contractual relationships with MRC, the British Army, and local ranches.
- Manage community cattle grazing on Mpala.
- Manage herds of livestock (cattle, camels, sheep, and goats) for research projects.
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree in a related field or equivalent experience.
- A Kenya Citizen
- Spoken and Written English and Kiswahili
- Experience with wildlife conservancies, ranching and scientific field-based research
- Minimum 5+ years of managerial and field experience in conservation and development.
- Results oriented with proven track record of delivery.
- Possess sound judgment and strong decision making skills.
- Outstanding interpersonal skills including the ability to build coalitions, negotiate, and manage conflict situations.
- Experience developing, monitoring and managing to budgets.
- Strong communication skills, oral and writing.
Salary: A gross salary of between Kshs 350,000.00 to 450,000.00 will be offered to the successful candidate based on qualifications and experience.
Interested candidates are invited to apply through Echelon Human Capital Limited on firstname.lastname@example.org
Please send a cover letter, your detailed CV indicating daytime telephone numbers, address and names of three references with the Job Title in the subject line.
Only shortlisted candidates shall be contacted.
Closing Date: April 30, 2017