Norwegian Refugee Council
Terms of Reference
Communication Consultant – BRCiS – Documentation of Field Activities – Somalia
Period: March 2017
Location: Somalia – Mogadishu
Reports to: BRCiS Chief of Party
Ref. No: 3364019157
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people.
NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, education, emergency food security, legal assistance, and water,sanitation and hygiene sectors.
The Norwegian Refugee Council has approximately 5000 committed and competent employees involved in projects across four continents.
In addition, NRC runs one of the world’s largest standby rosters -NORCAP, with 650 professionals, ready to be deployed on 72 hours notice when a crisis occurs
Background: The BRCiS Consortium is a resilience programme implementing activities in 7 regions of Somalia through its main programme and in 15 regions overall, including the emergency activities.
BRCIS and partners have recognized that there is need to provide a voice to people at the field point allowing them to express their views and provide feedback on how the various interventions by the BRCiS programme impact their lives.
BRCiS would thus like to document human-interest stories as well as lessons learnt from the programme interventions to support communication and advocacy and document the impact of the programme.
The Consortium is looking for a communication consultant to document the activities in the field. The documentation will be used in the various communication and advocacy materials that will be produced as part of the communication strategy.
S/He will be expected to deliver a selection of at least 100 edited pictures, 10 human-interest stories and 3 videos representing BRCiS activities in a selection of locations in Somalia.
These shall be shared with relevant institutions at national, regional and interagency level, Donors and development partners.
Objective: The purpose of this consultancy is to document stories and activities in BRCiS and IRF locations as well as lessons learnt from programme interventions. The Consultant will therefore visit selected locations, engage with beneficiaries, staff and other project stakeholders.
The consultant will be required to discuss with staff from all sections at the national level but also with staff in the field before, during and after the field missions.
The Consortium Coordinator in Mogadishu and the Chief of Party in Nairobi will supervise the field mission. NRC Logistics and Security department will support the mission.
The consultant will be expected to:
- Become acquainted with the BRCiS programme. S/he will become familiar with the BRCiS approach of community resilience in Somalia.
- Plan the travel based on the prioritization of activities resulting from dialogue with CMU, TWG and field focal points
- Travel to field locations with the adequate equipment
- Document human-interest stories of the BRCiS and IRF activities in various locations in Somalia.
- Take context pictures and footage in the various locations: rural and urban landscapes, portraits, Somali livelihoods, and habitat
- Deliver 10 completed stories, 100 pictures and 3 edited videos (3 minutes each).
- Hold consultations with all sections to determine scope, and identify communities/facilities that will be included in this round of documentation.
- Plan travelling in collaboration with the CMU, TWG and field focal points.
- Put together templates for interviews and human-interest stories and validate them with the teams.
- Write and submit synopsis for the 3 videos.
- Fieldwork in the selected communities
- Submit draft human interest stories (in English), a selection of high quality photos and 3 edited videos
- Revise deliverables based on the comments received
- Submit finalized compilation of all the stories, videos and photographs formatted according to documentation guidelines issued.
Work Conditions: The consultant will work under the supervision of the Chief of Party. However, the consultant will also be required to work independently with colleagues in the field, partners and beneficiaries.
The consultant will work in different field locations to document the program activities/stories as required. (Exact dates and locations to be discussed with consultant).
BRCiS will cover travel to the field locations and back, as well as accommodation, security and meal expenses.
The consultant will need to work with his/her own equipment (computer, photo camera, sound equipment, etc.)
The payment for the assignment will be based on the NRC/ BRCIS rates for qualification and experience required.
Until the work quality meets NRC/BRCiS/DFID requirements, the consultant’s work will not be considered as finalized.
Applicants will submit:
- a cv;
- sample of their work (written pieces in English, pictures, links to videos);
- an outline of the methodology they will propose to complete the mission;
- an estimation of the fees that would apply per day of work (mission’s duration is 35 days, starting as soon as the contract is ready).
To apply for this consultancy, please visit www.nrc.no then go to vacancies.
- Location: Somalia
- Industry: Emergency Relief
- Special field: Consulting
- Role: Consultant
Deadline for application: 10/03/2017
Hard copies will not be accepted.