Organization: Solidaridad East and Central Africa
Terms of Reference to Document Case Studies and Success Stories and Assemble Professional Photographs Across the Programs
Program: Gold, Coffee, Tea, Fruits and Vegetable Commodity programs
Position Type: Short-term consultancy
Study / assessment Topic: To document 7 case studies / success stories through print, and assemble professional photographs across programs.
Position Location: Field locations in Kenya
Duration: 30 working days
Reporting to: Monitoring Evaluation and Learning Manager
Working with: Solidaridad M&EL Manager, Program Managers, Project Coordinators and Project Officers
Starting date: 1st April 2017
Organizational Background: Solidaridad is a global network Civil Society Organization with expertise in developing sustainable market oriented supply chains, farmer training, certification and credit linkages related to coffee, cocoa, cotton and ten other commodities.
organization has experience in managing international programmes working with grass root organizations, producers, civil society and local government, core and support role private sector actors.
Solidaridad has a strong present in Africa, Asia, Central, North and Latin America (www.solidaridadnetwork.org).
Solidaridad Eastern and Central Africa Expertise Centre (SECAEC) is one of the Regional Centres of the Solidaridad Network registered and based in Nairobi, Kenya. It is currently implementing development projects in a number of commodity value chains including Coffee, Cotton, Gold, Horticulture, Livestock, Sugarcane and Tea.
SECAEC covers seven countries including Burundi, Democratic Republic of Congo, Ethiopia, Rwanda, Tanzania and Uganda. (www.solidaridadnetwork.org/regions/east-and-central-africa).
Objectives of the Assignment
The specific objectives of this assignment are to:
1. Document and draft 7 case stories (2 for Gold, 2 for Coffee, 2 for Fruits and Vegetables, 1 Tea) that highlight some of the outcomes/impacts of Solidaridad programs at community, market and policy level.
These stories should be attractive, compelling and engaging narratives about SECAEC work. It should help people understand why our work matters and why we should care.
Target Audience – The primary target of these stories include:
- Big international companies who have a stake in sustainable production ( H&M, Unilever, Nestle, 4C Association, ADM among others)
- Donors; Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs, EC, USAID and others
- Sustainability networks and media ( Eco Textile news, Bonsucro, Roundtables like RSPO and others)
- Other CSOs
- A generally professional and educated audience who are familiar with issues of sustainability.
2. Capture professional high resolution photographs showcasing Solidaridad work. The camera work will be done by a professional camera practitioner.
The consultant(s) will be expected to travel to project areas spread across Kenya to carry out interviews with community members, Solidaridad staff, partners, and other stakeholders to collate, analyse, and synthesize the case stories.
1. Written case studies
– Document and produce 7 cases stories (Guidelines of writing will be given to selected consultant)
– Present the draft stories to Solidaridad for review
– Finalize stories based on feedback received after review
– 100 high-resolution photographs, edited and captioned (Solidaridad photography guidelines will be given to selected consultant)
– Copy of all interview recordings and/or transcripts
– A detailed report on all photography, including names and contact details of all individuals interviewed and original copies of signed consent forms filled out by each interviewee.
Consultancy Period: The consultancy will entail up to 14 days of field work for objective 1 (Up to 10 days of field work and up to 4 days of reporting and editing for documented success stories), and 14 days for objective 2 for Photographer (up to 10 days of field work and up to 4 days for editing photographs).
Both objectives run concurrently. The consultancy is planned to start in April 2017.
The selected consultants are required to quote days required for preparation, field work, analysis of data collected and final editing and reporting. This assignment is a time bound assignment; delivery is required by 30 working days from the date of inception.
Qualification, Skills and Experience Required
For Objective 1:
- Outstanding writing skills in particular case studies/success stories;
- Excellent experiences for collecting case studies/ success stories and others
- Good understanding of the sustainability agenda in commodity supply chains
- Excellent written and spoken English language skills;
A demonstrated ability (through previous similar assignments) to analyse, compile and synthesize information in coherent and succinct formats; and
For Objective 2:
- Outstanding photography skills;
- Outstanding photo and video editing skills;
- A demonstrated ability (samples of previous similar assignment)