Talent Development Manager
About Nova Pioneer
In 2014 we launched a new venture to build the first pan-African network of high-quality, affordable primary and secondary schools. This year we will be operating six schools—two in Nairobi and four in Johannesburg—and gearing up for rapid growth, initially across East and Southern Africa and eventually across West Africa as well.
Our venture is structured as a social enterprise to enable us to attract the investment that will be needed to launch 100 schools and reach tens of thousands of students in the next decade.
Our team culture is designed to reinforce our vision:
We model the growth mindset we want our students to embody: you are challenged every day and, as a result, you grow more than at any other point in your life We hold the highest expectations for our staff and students alike We believe in servant leadership and consistently put our students before our team, and our team before ourselves We bring infectious energy, enthusiasm and fun to everything we do because joy fuels the hardest work and learning
About the Role
Nova Pioneer believes an organization is only as good as the people who work for it. We know that in order to accomplish our mission and achieve our growth goals, we must attract, select, retain and grow the right people. The Talent Development Manager will play a key role in our ability to find and hire great people.
Specific responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
- Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s degree a plus
- At least 7 years of professional progressive human resources/talent experience, preferably in the education sector and teaching experience is a plus
- Experience driving talent planning efforts within an organization with a focus on systematic people development
- You have excellent project management and people management skills and experiences
- You are a creative, out of the box thinker, strategist and problem solver
- You have excellent communication skills both in one-on-one settings and to large audiences
- You build strong relationships with an ability to inspire and motivate others
- You hold high expectations for all people and believe in their ability to reach them
- You strive for excellence in every detail of your work and inspire and challenge everyone around you to do the same
- You take pleasure in excellence more than credit or status
- Our culture resonates deeply with your values—and in particular, you are excited to challenge yourself by taking risks and getting more feedback than you’ve ever gotten before
Notes for a Successful Application Process
Please format your resume so that it is no longer than two typed pages Please send a cover letter highlighting the following: any startup and/or entrepreneurial experience from your career, results that you’ve driven that you’re most proud of (last two years), and the main reason that you’re applying for this role as well as the team(s) that you’ve led or coached.
Please note: Where a copy of your resume is required, copying and pasting from a formatted document e.g. Microsoft Word® may not result in the formatting transferring correctly to the final resume. You are encouraged to attach your resume in Microsoft Word® or PDF format to protect formatting.
Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis until the right candidate is identified. Only qualified candidates will be invited for interviews.