Job Title: Chief of Party, Kenya
Job Location: KE-Nairobi
Overview: Since 1963 and in 146 countries, ACDI/VOCA has empowered people in developing and transitional nations to succeed in the global economy.
Based in Washington, D.C., ACDI/VOCA is a nonprofit international development organization that delivers technical and management assistance in agribusiness, financial services, enterprise development, community development and food security in order to promote broad-based economic growth and vibrant civil society.
ACDI/VOCA currently has approximately 49 projects in 30 countries and total revenues of $151 million.
Chief of Party, Kenya
ACDI/VOCA is seeking a Chief of Party (COP) for an anticipated five-year, $50-100 million USAID-funded enterprise development and investment activity in Kenya, the Kenya Investment Mechanism (KIM).
ACDI/VOCA seeks a highly qualified candidate with proven experience leading project teams and implementing integrated programs that support capital mobilization.
The ideal candidate should have experience implementing highly innovative, scalable, replicable programs with the goal of unlocking public and private and international capital for investments to enhance competitiveness.
The activity will address innovative solutions to sustainable economic growth, enhancing private sector growth through small and medium enterprises (SMEs), expanding investment opportunities, and supporting small and medium business owners to efficiently utilize finance in order to support business growth”.
The project’s anticipated focus will be to mobilize financing for investment in agriculture value chains, clean energy, and water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH) activities in Kenya to enhance inclusive, sustainable economic growth while advancing USAID’s priorities in SMEs, county-led development, cross-border trade, youth, and entrepreneurship.
The activity will work to facilitate an enabling environment for private sector financing through policy reform, including investment policies under Kenya’s devolved governance structure.
Finally, the activity will manage and provide oversight of the DCA portfolio to increase its utilization by participating Kenyan financial institutions.
- Provide overall vision, leadership and guidance of the project’s implementation for project staff in Kenya, partnering organizations, host government, other donors, and stakeholders.
- Serve as KIM’s external face and internal leader for project implementation.
- Lead a multi-component project team of approximately 80 staff in strengthening SME competitiveness in targeted economic sectors throughout Kenya.
- Lead strategic development and oversight for leveraging capital to foster business development and promote entrepreneurship and innovation.
- Knowledge of and experience implementing projects using a broad range of financial instruments; such as debt, equity, and various forms of concessional/subsidized capital
- Oversee monitoring of project key performance indicators (KPIs), regularly evaluate project results, and guide project implementation to achieve maximum impact.
- Oversee management of subcontracts/grants with international and local organizations to ensure full project integration and that deliverable targets are met.
- Oversee the preparation and submission of annual work plans, regular progress reports, and achievement of activity results to USAID.
- Oversee the activity’s financial compliance and procedures, ensuring compliance with established ACDI/VOCA’s accounting principles and USAID regulations. Serve as an ACDI/VOCA signatory on expenses up to certain thresholds.
- Effectively liaise and plan with Government of Kenya officials at national and local levels, as well as with USAID and other donors.
- Provide frequent oral presentations to USAID and other requested stakeholders on progress and achieved results.
- Coordinate regularly with ACDI/VOCA’s headquarters office in Washington, DC, and represent the organization at relevant events and meetings with government officials and the donor community.
- A minimum of 12 years of experience in consulting, development finance, corporate strategy and planning, impact investing, international development, small business development, or a combination of the above.
- Master’s degree or equivalent in economics, finance, marketing, business administration, agribusiness, or related area.
- Previous experience as a COP, Project Director, or similar senior management position for projects with similar magnitude and complexity in developing countries is preferred.
- Experience with USAID programs and knowledge of USAID rules and regulations desired.
- Previous experience working in Kenya or East Africa strongly preferred.
- Ideal candidates will be able to demonstrate an understanding of the business and investment challenges and opportunities that emerging markets present, and a passion for using innovative approaches to solving complex development problems.
- Knowledge in the following thematic areas: business advisory services, investment readiness, transaction advisory services, fund management, mobilization of public capital , investment pipeline development
- Ability to show progressive advancement in his/her career.
- A positive attitude and willingness to adaptively manage projects and partners in complex environments.
- Excellent writing and communication skills.
- Fluency in English required
Please apply online HERE
No phone calls please.
Only finalists will be contacted.
Women, minorities, and Kenyan nationals are encouraged to apply. EOE.