AgriFin Accelerate Program
Job Title: Monitoring & Evaluation Manager
The AgriFin Accelerate program will operate in three African countries (Kenya, Tanzania and Zambia) utilizing a market ecosystem approach, working with carefully selected partners to build sustainable models, where farm and crop management tools and financial services are “bundled” in affordable, unified platforms on mobile phone channels to promote mass uptake commercially.
The program involves three interrelated components that seek to address low farmer productivity and capability, and improve institutional ability to deliver appropriate products and build ecosystems to drive scale.
We work with farmers, banks, mobile network operators, MFIs, research institutes and other ecosystem players in well-defined partnerships to sustainably bundle services, leveraging the offer and outreach of all partners, while increasing the range of services, access points and value for farmers.
The program works with partners to identify, prototype, test and scale successful mobile-enabled services for smallholders, with a key focus on expanding access to financial services, using a rapid iteration approach to product development and client-centric design techniques.
We are presently looking for a committed and dynamic individual to take up the position of a Monitoring & Evaluation Manager
GENERAL POSITION SUMMARY: The M&E Manager will be responsible for establishing and implementing an effective system to monitor progress, impacts and successes of project activities and performance at all levels.
Most importantly, this includes full aspects of data management, including developing M&E plans for all projects with technical team, extracting and managing data from partners, completing data analysis and reporting.
The M&E Manager will also monitor all activities and ensure that each program engagement complies with AFA and donor performance reporting requirements.
S/he will provide technical leadership around implementation of contractors conducting impact assessments (RCT), baseline and benchmark studies, surveys, focus groups and need assessments to identify necessary changes and future project opportunities.
Additionally, as the project has a strong M&E component, the M&E Manager will be providing M&E technical assistance to project partners and stakeholders specifically on situation analysis, SMART indicators (output and outcome), indicator reference sheets, data collection protocols, data cleaning and management, data use strategies, reporting and results-based management best practices.
AFA requires a dedicated manager to ensure optimum use of data and program information to inform M&E activities and drive scale of services for farmers, both through program partners and through ecosystem actors tracking program results.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITY: None
REPORTS DIRECTLY TO: Director MEL
WORKS DIRECTLY WITH: Program Director, Director MEL, Technical teams, Country Program Managers, Farmer Capability Lab Manager, Communications Manager, Finance staff.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
M&E System Development
- Work together with AFA MEL Director and senior AFA management to establish an overall M&E framework that will guide M&E for all three country offices and collaborate closely with program donor and consultants in developing and establishing of the M&E system
- Design intelligent monitoring, evaluation and learning systems tailored to each unique project at proposal development stage to ensure measurement at project and to the organization’s unifying goal in collaboration with the MEL director
- Advise country project teams and partners on the most appropriate monitoring, evaluation and learning design given budget, time and field force set up
- Collaborate with the technology team, implementation teams and partners to execute the M&E systems in country
- Support all country programs independent efforts to ensure high quality M&E at the program level as well as build a program-wide system that captures and reports results
- Design and maintain a system with utility and program quality in mind, providing managers and their teams real time information that can steer program implementation as well as informing donors and strategic program direction and that helps strategize future program interventions
- Lead on data extraction with partners, following principles of LEAN data, working under pre-agreed data collection frameworks which minimize new data collection from partners
Monitoring, Evaluation & Assessments
- Support MEL Director and program consultants on the design and implementation of impact evaluations and assessments which include RCT, other experimental forms of research, baseline/panel data studies, surveys and needs assessments as outlined in the program agenda and work plans, drawing on appropriate research and survey tools and incorporating Mercy Corps’ standards on design, monitoring, and evaluation
- Conduct analysis and cross tabulations of program data, structuring and regularly updating partner reports
- Establish sound data collection, cleaning, managing, analysis and reporting strategies on required performance indicators in line with M&E requirements and learning agenda guidelines set by AFA and the donor and using the appropriate M&E tools working with different partners
- Perform data analysis to capture behavioral, product performance and market insights, tied to AFA’s learning agenda and individual partner engagement research plans
- Engage in relevant field research in support of data and information gathering
- Maintain program databases, including engagement data and ecosystem player data ensuring high quality and usability of data and information
- Contribute to consulting agreements and relationships for M&E activities based on Mercy Corps policies and procedures
- Provide project management support to MEL Director working together with all M&E consultants and technical team leads ensuring high levels of coordination and integration into overall programming, as well as appropriate support for partners.
Studies and Assessments
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree in Economics, Research Design and Methodology, Agricultural Economics, Statistics, or a related field (A Master’s degree in either of the fields would be an added advantage)
- 10 years’ experience in M&E roles designing, managing and implementing results-based M&E systems and activities
- Experience working with M&E in the digital financial services, technology, and agriculture space is advantageous
- Experience analyzing and presenting quantitative and qualitative data
- Strong computer software skills with proficiency in relevant systems for data analysis, such as Excel, SPSS, STRATA and R programming and other data management systems
- Experience providing technical assistance and delivering trainings on M&E systems and tools
- Experience working with commercial partners in agriculture and financial services
- Experience in project management and working with diversified teams
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to work constructively in teams
- Experience in Kenya, Tanzania, and/or Zambia preferred
SUCCESS FACTORS: The ideal candidate will have a strong curiosity for understanding and working effectively within the three diverse countries which Agrifin Accelerate operates.
S/he will be an excellent communicator, multi-tasker, and able to work in ambiguous situations.
S/he will be a tolerant and flexible individual able to work in difficult and stressful environments and follow procedures demonstrating cultural sensitivity with diverse stakeholders.
S/he will be a team-player with a positive attitude toward problem solving and conflict resolution. Commitment to learning, open communications, impeccable professional standards of ethics and ability to manage successful partner relationships are essential.
The successful candidate will be focused on team-building and open collaboration; be a strategic thinker and maintain a sense of humor.
The TPM must be willing to travel regularly to Mercy Corps field offices and project sites. The most successful Mercy Corps staff members have a strong commitment to teamwork and accountability, thrive in evolving and changing environments and make effective written and verbal communication a priority in all situations.
|Company / Organization||
|Job Opening Date||
|Job Expiry Date||
AgriFin Accelerate Program
Job Title: Monitoring & Evaluation Manager
The AgriFin Accelerate program will operate in three African countries (Kenya, Tanzania and Zambia) utilizing a market ecosystem approach, working with carefully selected partners to build sustainable models, where farm and crop management tools and financial services are “bundled” in affordable, unified platforms on mobile phone channels to promote mass uptake commercially.www.jobsinkenya.co.ke for more job details and application process.