Vacancy: Data Scientist
Department: Consumer Activation & Growth Division
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Job posting: 18-04-2017 until 05-05-2017.
Starting date: Immediate.
Who are we?
Cellulant is a pan – African digital payments business. We run an ecosystem of consumers, merchants and banks in which we facilitate payments and build value through the value-added services we layer on top.
In building this ecosystem we serve different types of customers with different products, in a range that includes mobile banking products, mobile credit products, USSD, SMS, and digital content.
We are currently serving merchants and banks across 10 countries, and a wide set of industries
Our true competitive advantage lies in the ecosystem we are building – if we do a good job over the next few years, it will be the glue* that will connect everyone to everything – every consumer to every business in Africa.
To be able to meet these aggressive growth expectations we need to grow our dynamic team. We invite you to be part of that growth by submitting your application to the following role.
Description: Data Scientist reporting to Group Head – Consumer Activation & Growth.
Would you like to translate terabytes of data with thousands of data points into insights that lead to better service, unforgettable deals and the exponential growth of Africa’s 1st Billion Dollar Mobile Commerce Company?
Cellulant, Africa’s new way to make payments, is looking for you if you’re a rock star Data Scientists who can picture him/herself contributing to this vision.
- You will use your ability to create value-adding analytic systems, toolsets and processes that support user acquisition, user engagement, usage growth and retention.
- Work in a multi-disciplined team where you’ll take full ownership of turning discoveries and ideas into machine learning models. You’ll use the model’s output to help us create and improve products and features for our customers, preferably in short cycles.
- Our ideal candidate is result-focused, innovative and has solid quantitative background and a good business understanding.
- Ability to Transform large, complex datasets into pragmatic, actionable insights and in turn quantify and influence tangible business gain.
- Ability to see beyond the numbers, be the voice of data when communicating to decision makers, product owners and other business leaders.
- Create insightful data visualizations that highlight trends.
- Sourcing and implementing data gathering processes from multiple sources including product usage records, VOC and customer databases to create integrated views and insights that can be used to drive decision making.
- Preparing periodic, continuous and ad hoc reports clearly showing business trends and customer behavior.
- Track consumer behavior on daily and weekly trackers as well as on weekly, monthly/quarterly and yearly reports.
- Monitor product lifecycle and highlight early signs of product use change.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Statistics, Actuarial Science, Computer Science or Economics. Must show experience in data analysis.
- 4 or more years’ experience in a reporting/data analysis role(s) and environments. Experience in using SQL based data mining and analysis required. Experience with NoSQL databases, such as MongoDB, Cassandra, HBase an added plus.
- Experience with common data science toolkits, such as R, Weka, NumPy, MatLab, etc Excellence in at least one of these is highly desirable.
- A good scripter able to use analysis tools creatively to programmatically answer complex business questions in a data driven approach at relative speed.
- Good applied statistics skills and experience, such as distributions, statistical testing, regression, etc. with excellent understanding of machine learning techniques and algorithms, such as k-means, Naive Bayes, SVM and Decision Trees.
- Experience in building and/or maintaining an ETL data flow system an added plus though not a must. The candidate must however demonstrate that he/she has a good understanding of data cleaning and transformation techniques.
- Strong co-ordination and project management skills to handle complex projects.
- Entrepreneurial, Positive, people-oriented, and energetic attitude.
- Ability to manage a large queue of work and meet assignment deadlines through personal initiatives on several simultaneously assigned tasks.
Do you have questions about this vacancy?
Visit our website at www.cellulant.com
Please do not hesitate to contact us by e-mail or telephone: firstname.lastname@example.org or 0202606696.