Job Title: Consultant Trainer in Remote Sensing and Earth Observation Institute
Introduction: Indepth Research Services (IRES) is an international training, capacity building, technical, and management consultancy undertaking firm with solutions for development interventions in Africa and around the world.
The firm offers technical training and education services designed for individuals, and organizations working in the agriculture, climate change and environment; disaster management; education; food and nutrition; health; humanitarian relief; logistics and telecommunication; recovery and reconstruction; safety and security; water sanitation and hygiene sectors.
IRES is organized into three arms namely IRES International Learning and Development Centre (ILDC), Local ILDC institutes and Development and business Services.
IRES ILDC arm is dedicated to delivering holistic workplace professional, vocational education and training solutions aimed at bettering the performance of individuals and groups within organizations.
The arm is organized into 8 specialized institutes that include Research, Data Management and Statistical Analysis Institute; Project Management, Monitoring and Development Evaluation; Geospatial and Earth Observation (GIS), Agriculture Development, Food Security and Livelihoods, ICT4D and Mobile Technologies; Governance, Leadership and Management; Development and Humanitarian Capacity Building; and Health and Social Care Institute.
The 8 specialized institutes in addition to carrying out professional capacity development in their various areas of specialization, they also undertake relevant consultancy assignments.
We are looking for a trainer cum consultant to ensure the smooth and effective functioning of our Remote Sensing and Earth Observation (GIS) Institute.
Key Responsibilities in Training
- Design and develop training programs (outsourced or in-house)
- Facilitation, conducting research and providing guidance to participants.
- Participating in training curriculum development and training programs
- Adapt and apply appropriate pedagogic strategies and techniques, and principles of instructional design to create blended learning experiences for adult learners.
- Coordinating local and international training workshops
- Advise the department on the appropriate uses of GIS and Remote Sensing applications in blended learning contexts.
- Preparing reports.
- Choose appropriate training methods per case (simulations, mentoring, on the job training, professional development classes etc.)
- Use accepted education principles and track new training methods and techniques
- Design and prepare educational aids and materials
- Determine additional training strategies based on data or observation
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned from time to time.
Key responsibilities in consultancy work
As a GIS consultant you will be responsible for:
- Collecting, analyzing and storing geographical data.
- Use GIS mapping, data sourcing, management and analysis to produce digestible maps, figures and metric reports for clients.
- Implement software systems, update and maintain data, organize GIS data into a user-friendly format and serve as the primary contact for GIS-related problems.
- Use of digital maps and models to manage GIS projects, ensuring a solution adequately meets a client’s needs.
- Supporting desktop and web-based GIS solutions on projects that are delivered to clients through researching and analysing information and data.
- Create charts and presentations.
- Maintain an up to date geographical information database.
- You may be required to build models using GIS software to help demonstrate how a workflow is to be built.
Minimum Educational Qualifications and Professional Experience for training
- Consultant trainers must have a Masters Degree or higher qualification in a GIS and Remote Sensing related area.
- Experience in Instructional Design will be an added advantage.
- In addition they must have excellent technology skills in Free and Open Source GIS and Remote Sensing software such as QGIS, ILWIS, PcRaster, Map Window and GRASS amongst others.
- Knowledge of basic web programming, Google Maps API Family, GeoServer or MapServer, graphic manipulation, is essential for those applying for the Open Web GIS Training.
- The ideal candidate should have a minimum of three years of relevant experience
Personal Attributes, Skills & Competencies
- Ability to keep up with new technology
- Team player with excellent interpersonal skills;
- Self motivated;
- Attention to detail;
- Adaptability and reliability
Mode of Engagement: Successful consultants will be contacted whenever training comes up to offer services as an external consultant.
This offer is only valid for six months and will be renewable based on consultant’s performance and commences from May 2017.
If you have the requisite qualifications and experience please apply. Interested applicants must provide current CVs, with telephone and e-mail contacts; addresses of three referees, and a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by close of business 24th April 2017.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Note: Use the job title as the subject line in your application email.