Job Vacancy: National Program Manager – Kenya
Position Overview: Educate! is currently seeking a highly motivated individual to join our progressive team in Kenya, through a time of transformative growth, as the National Program Manager (NPM).
At the core of Educate!’s work is our ability to build and maintain strong relationships with government, policy makers and other stakeholders.
You will lead the identification and evaluation of partnership opportunities, and play a strategic role in driving forward our goals with schools and government.
The National Program Manager will develop, manage and own our stakeholder relationships and advocacy strategy.
If you’re the right person for this opportunity, You must demonstrate advocacy/stakeholder management experience, proven ability to negotiate, be a self-starter, a master relationship builder and with excellent communication skills.
The NPM can expect to work with a motivated and overachieving team and gain excellent leadership development experience.
Educate! works to transform education in Africa to teach youth to solve poverty for themselves and their communities.
Educate! provides youth with skills training in leadership, entrepreneurship and workforce readiness along with mentorship to start real businesses at school. Our model is delivered through practically-trained teachers and youth mentors. Educate!’s goal is to make this practical, skills-based model part of national education systems.
In 2016 we’re working in 100 schools in Rwanda and more than 350 secondary schools in Uganda reaching over 120,000 students.
Our model was proven to have massive impact in a randomized controlled trial. Graduates earned DOUBLE the income of a control group and had a 64% increase in business creation. Our graduates change their lives and their communities, such as Lillian Aero who employs over 100 AIDS-affected women.
In 2012 Educate! partnered with Uganda’s government to integrate curriculum and a student business club structure into Uganda’s entrepreneurship course nationally, and in 2015 we began serving as a technical advisor to Rwanda on their national curriculum reform.
Educate!’s team includes 100 staff and over 140 volunteer youth mentors. We have been backed by top foundations such as MasterCard, Big Bang Philanthropy, Mulago, Echoing Green, Ashoka and Global Innovation Fund. Educate! won the 2015 WISE Awards, and was featured by Forbes 30 under 30, Clinton Global Initiative and The Brookings Institution.
Educate!’s vision is to reach one million students annually across 10 countries in Africa by 2024.
- Drive forward high level partnerships with Kenya Institute of Curriculum Development and the Ministry of Education; and negotiate the terms of partnership.
- Develop and implement a strategy for government engagement.
- Create proposals and strategies for program expansion and government partnership.
- Manage relationships with existing partners and leverage those relationships to ensure partners at all levels know about Educate!’s work, impact and research.
- Obtain approval and buy in for Educate!’s work at the Ministry of Education.
- Work to develop joint strategy for national reform support with partners and the Kenya Institute of Curriculum Development.
- Attend government workshops and advise on technical aspects of curriculum reform.
- Develop systems and procedures in support of the identification, engagement and management of partnerships.
- Provide timely and accurate reporting of pipeline, strategic partnerships and management activities.
Government Pilot Oversight
- Ensure synergy and collaboration between partners work and Educate!’s work.
- Work closely with government partners to ensure Educate!’s support on the curriculum rollout is aligned to government objectives.
- Ensure we are informed of changes in our work with the government on the pilot.
- Responsible for overall management and implementation of the pilot project working in conjunction with Educate! and government partners.
Public Engagement & Communication
- Lead the development of clear, innovative, consistent and coherent messaging.
- Ensure a coherent approach for influencing through networks.
- Organize, attend and manage site visits, events and workshops with partners and key donors to increase understanding of Educate!’s work and raise the profile and visibility of the organisation.
- Implement a partnership strategy for the global conference and organize the global conference that will bring together government officials, researchers and education experts from across the region.
- Identify and secure event participants from government and other partners.
- Document results and key lessons learned in Kenya program and share with partners at events and conferences.
- Oversee and manage program related communications and media coverage.
- Lead branding strategy.
- Track and maintain donors, partners, and key leads in a database.
- Bachelor’s degree (related area not necessary) with 5 years professional experience.
- Experience working with governments and successfully implementing joint projects is required.
- Demonstrable negotiation and relationship-building skills
- Ability to plan, prioritise and organise a complex workload of competing priorities.
- Strategic thinker and able to craft solutions in an ever-changing environment.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills (including external representation).
- Fits our Five Cultural Tenets (see What is Educate! About? below); Learn more by looking at Educate!’s culture deck here
- The position will be based in Nairobi, Kenya.
- Salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience.
- Benefits & perks include a generous vacation policy and health insurance.
Why You Will Brag About Working At Educate!
- We’ve got the impact.
- Educate! is designed for scale. We quadrupled operations in 2014, going from 54 to more than 200 schools served. We carefully measure our outcomes, and — here’s the best part — we are maintaining quality at four times the size.
- We believe in local leadership — 96% of our staff is African.
- Our model has gone nationwide in Uganda — Educate!’s model is now incorporated into the national curriculum and exams, impacting many thousands more students than we can reach directly.
- Educate is a well-oiled learning machine. We built our model by methodically testing hundreds of assumptions and we are constantly experimenting, evaluating, and improving.
- We’re honored that luminaries and leaders like Oliver Wonekha, the Ugandan Ambassador to the US, and Ann Veneman, a former Secretary of Agriculture and head of Unicef, believe in us enough to have joined our advisory board.
Intrigued? Please visit HERE to apply. You will be asked to upload a resume, and your response to the following questions:
Why this role?
What do you consider to be the major accomplishments in your current and previous jobs as related to this position.
Applications accepted on a rolling basis until filled.
Priority application deadline is April 25th with the goal of filling the position ASAP.
What Is Educate! About?
We’re ambitious. Are you? Educate! is growing fast, so new opportunities are opening up and expanding all the time.
We’re inspired by people with drive, and we love to help them reach their full potential.
We expect everyone at Educate! to contribute above and beyond their job description, grow their skills, and advance their careers, and we are committed to supporting our staff members on that journey.
- We Put Youth First – The youth we serve come first. Always. In everything. That means we wake up thinking of ways we can serve youth even better and get the highest impact out of every dollar that we spend. It means Educate! doesn’t own a single vehicle, because we’d rather take the bus if it means one more student can participate. It means making every decision like the future depends on it — because if we get our way, it does.
- We Are Always Learning – When you work at Educate!, educating yourself is part of your job too. We encourage every employee to find the best book on management; share the latest article on graphic design; bring in your favorite college mentor; or meet the researcher pushing the edge of the field. We are always thirsty for knowledge and love to share.
- We Only Solve a Problem Once – We are allergic to band-aids so we love the person who brings the new system to solve the problem for good, even problems we haven’t recognized yet.
- We Are Flexible – We thrive on change — we’re driving it. We are growing every day, so we have to adapt quickly to meet new challenges, and our team keeps up.
- We Exceed Expectations – We assume we can achieve the impossible because we already have, year after year. We want our staff to create your own challenges, ask the toughest questions, and dream scary big!
Every person at Educate! — from interns to the executive director — is evaluated by how they live up to these five cultural tenets. They are at the core of how we achieve our mission and why we work as well as we do.
Educate is committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all who interact in our community. In creating this environment, we encourage people from a variety of cultures, backgrounds and life experiences to join our diverse team.