USADF in Partnership with CEZAM
Turkana Food Security Program
Cezam & Associates Ltd – Accountants & Business Development Consultants
Request for Proposal (RFP)
Grantee Financial Management Training Consultancy
Background Information: United States African Development Foundation (USADF) provides grants to African organizations and enterprises that increase economic opportunities among the underserved communities in Africa.
USADF launched the Turkana Food Security Program in March 2011 and has since funded twenty-four organizations involved in agriculture, fishing, livestock and micro-credit.
The grants provide people with the opportunity to engage in the development process and gain food security, economic, and social benefits.
USADF grants respond to applicants’ requests by actively engaging the local community group or enterprise in the design and implementation of the grant activities.
This ensures that outcomes will best address the real community needs. USADF measures grant success in terms of jobs, increased production and income levels and improved social conditions.
CEZAM and Associates Ltd., an accounting and business development consultancy firm, is the local partner for USADF in Kenya, responsible with providing direct technical assistance and support to grassroots groups who are recipients of USADF grants.
The partnership ensures that grantees have access to the support services they need to successfully plan and implement their development activities at the grassroots level.
CEZAM and Associates Ltd now requests proposals from eligible and qualified consultancy firms or individuals to train not more than 35 members of grantee groups’ members on financial management and develop related policies and documents.
Key areas of the training package shall comprise of the following:
- Separation of cash and financial management duties;
- Setting up, implementing and maintaining internal controls;
- Specific roles of staff and procurement committees;
- Petty cash management and documentation;
- Non-petty cash financial transactions’ documentation (preparation and maintenance of payment vouchers, approvals, and receipts);
- Cashbook maintenance and bank reconciliations;
- Payroll systems preparation and maintenance;
- Calculating depreciation costs;
- Procurement—internal policies of approvals for various sized purchases;
- Recording of farm sales income;
- Preparation of monthly Financial Statements (showing all income, expenditure and cash flows using the existing simplified format that should be collected from the client during the training);
- Basing financial decisions on developed financial statements;
- Cash flow planning (reading financial statements and projections to project future cash flow);
- Analysing financial investments;
- Dividends decisions for members
- The training should be delivered in a language suitable to specific grantee group from the Turkana, Machakos and Kajiado Counties;
- The training shall ensure to utilize the most practical training methodology suited for each group;
- Policies developed shall originate purely from the specific trained group and suited to their enterprise needs;
- While reporting to CEZAM, the USADF Kenya Partner, the consultant shall fully involve the trainee group in the entire process.
The deliverables shown in the table below shall be submitted in the number of copies as follows:
The consultant should be a specialist in business administration, accounting, especially in finance and strategic planning and/or micro-finance enterprise sector with the following qualifications:
- Minimum degree in business, finance, accounting, management, administration, and development studies;
- Experience in leading financial management, strategic management, or policy development, for enterprises that combine donor investment grants and business income.
- Excellent teaching and coaching skills, experience in knowledge management and learning in business/non-governmental organizations
- Excellent analytical and writing skills;
- Proven capacity for training extremely low capacity groups in Kenya;
Preferred: Those with experience in enterprise interventions in the food security sector will be preferred;
Submitting expression of interest
CEZAM invites bids from individual consultants or firms with the experience and skills described above.
Bids should include:
- A technical offer that includes the detailed methodology which will be used and related areas of focus (or topics) in the training as well as the proposed timeframe/time table;
- A financial offer that covers the entire consultancy assignment;
- A CV detailing relevant skills and experience of the lead consultant, including contactable referees with telephone and email addresses; and
- One sample of a relevant financial management training report and Financial management policy developed by the bidder for a low capacity group;