Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA)
Position: Senior Field Officer – UBI Project (Multiple Positions)
Reporting To: Field Manager
Start Date: ASAP
Duration: 3 Months
Deadline to Apply: 1st May 2017
Eligibility: Position open to local Kenyan hires only
About Innovations for Poverty Action: Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA) is an international non-profit research organization dedicated to discovering and promoting effective solutions to global poverty problems.
IPA works in partnership with development partners and academic researchers to create and evaluate approaches potential solutions to poverty problems using randomized evaluations in the fields of health, education, microfinance, governance and agriculture.
We also mobilize and support these decision makers to use these solutions to build better programs and policies at scale.
About the Project: A universal basic income (UBI) is a recurring, unconditional cash transfer sized to meet basic needs and paid to all members of a society.
Proponents argue that a UBI has the potential to eliminate extreme poverty and to counteract the harmful effects of rising inequality in wealthier countries. The objective of the project is to test the hypothesis that a universal basic income is an effective way to eliminate extreme global poverty.
This is a central policy question currently being debated in a number of emerging markets, both in developed and developing countries, and is also highly relevant for foreign aid policy.
In addition to informing policy debates over the adoption of a UBI, our study design will also let us address two deeper conceptual questions about the design of social protection in the emerging markets.
IPA is partnering with GiveDirectly which is already involved in delivering cash transfers as part of two large-scale randomized controlled trials – one on the general equilibrium effects of cash transfers, and one on the role of aspirations.
About the Position: Reporting to the Field Manager, the Senior Field Officer will assist in data collection and supervision of FOs.
The Senior Field Officer will also work closely with fellow Senior Field Officers, Field Officers and with the management team. He/she will spend approximately 95% of his/her time in the field.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Timely collection of quality data by conducting surveys, interviews and other scheduled activities and by rigorously following the study protocol with minimal supervision
- Do frequent and random spot checking in the field in order to monitor Surveyors, allocation of duties and provide daily field updates and feedback to the FM
- Assist in completing back check surveys
- Interacting with community members, respondents and project partners with the highest level of integrity and understanding
- Ensure data integrity is maintained at all times and minimize errors in data collection and transmission
- Help project management in Planning of field activities and schedules as necessary requirements for every visit.
- Help in timely documentation of field scenarios and relaying the same to the project management for necessary action
- Assist AFMs supervise a team of 5-7 field officers in the office/field, manage their work, and ensure that they are all following IPA survey protocols
- Managing data collection tablets/netbooks, charging, passwords and custody
- Supervise allocation of respondent gifts to field offices and ensure accountability
- Verify that field officers have interviewed the right respondent
- Work with village elders in mapping and identification of study participants
- Uploading all data collected by various groups to the server
- Report consistent problems to the FM
- Promptly respond to communication from the FM or other IPA staff
- Perform other duties related to the project that may be assigned to him/her.
How to Apply
CLICK HERE to apply online
Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by the Senior Field Officer-UBI Project. The statements are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all possible duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Management reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet organizational needs as necessary. Please note that IPA will never request any form of payment from an applicant.