Medecins Sans Frontieres – Switzerland, Dadaab Dagahaley Refugee Camp
The objective of our project is to provide primary and secondary level of health care to the Refugees in Dagahaley refugee camp. MSF provides a full package of medical care through 2 primary health care units and 1 hospital (100 beds) with 24 hour emergency and Operating Theatre.
Health services include curative, preventative, nutritional activities and emergency preparedness and intervention with partners.
Reporting: The selected candidate will be reporting to Head Nurse.
Start date: Immediately
Package: Attractive salary package on offer with additional benefits including comprehensive health cover.
Contract duration: 3 Months
The job activities include but are not limited to;
- Ensure the preparation of the material and equipment (checking the quantity and quality), in the OT and carry-out the reception, transport of the patient from the preparation room to the OT and ensuring his/her preparation for surgery.
- Assist the surgeon and anaesthetist during the operation, anticipating their needs, in order to facilitate their job and helping throughout the whole process.
- Checks vital parameters of the patient with the nurse anaesthetist
- Organize the patient’s transport from the operating theatre to the recovery room and carry-out and/or supervise all the post-operative activities (used material collection, OT’s cleaning and disinfection, resetting all equipment and material back), in order to prepare the OT for next surgical intervention or any emergency.
- Implement and follow-up the hygiene, sterilization, asepsis and disinfection protocols and procedures at all times, in pre, during and post-operative activities, in order to ensure the patient and staff’s safety conditions. i.e. waste containers availability, sharps container, checking no material or needles remains in the surgical towels, placing instruments into soak container, take instruments/linen to sterilization unit, etc.).
- Supervise and train the nurse-aids and cleaners while in the OT in following all appropriate protocols and procedures, in order to ensure the quality of the healthcare given to patients. and train NS where applicable.
- Control all equipment and material stock to be used in the OT (carrying out inventories, checking its quality and its functioning, storage conditions, doing follow-up of expired drugs, etc.), in order to ensure an efficient and rationale use of material resources while preventing damage and deterioration.
- Carry-out and supervise administrative procedures and documents (check identity of patient and his/her consent for the operation, fill in patients files, forms, statistics, quantitative surgical data collection, etc.), and report any problematic situations and cases arising, in order to have updated and correct information about the day-to-day activity and ensuring proper transfer of information.
- Participate in data collection and reporting.
- Intervene in support of other services whenever needed and work particularly in close collaboration with the accident, emergency department and with obstetrics.
- EPREP team member: Assist in response to emergencies within the project or as required.
- Infection control team member: make contributions to improve the infection control measures.
- Support and supervise the sterilization department in ensuring procedures is carried out according to the protocols/guidelines. Provide training to the team as necessary.
- Perform any other duties assigned by the supervisor.
- Education Nursing diploma with specialisation as a theatre nurse essential..
- Experience Desirable 2 years experience. Having worked in MSF or other NGO’s and in developing countries is desirable.
- Languages English essential and National language essential.
- Competencies Results, teamwork, flexibility, commitment, service
If you meet the above requirements, please send your CV, motivation letter outlining HOW you fulfill each of the requirements in bullet points on or before 30th April 2017 To http://uhired.me/job/106
Applications must be received by the deadline. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
MSF is an equal Employer and does not charge any application/recruitment or training fee.