Norwegian Refugee Council
Kenya Nationals Only
Ref. No: 3417532756
Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) has been present in Somalia since early 2004 and has since expanded its Horn of Africa Programme to Kenya in 2006 and to populations.
The Regional Office is based in Nairobi, Kenya with offices and operations in Ethiopia in 2011.
Since 2004, the Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) has demonstrated a regional competence and expertise in working with displaced Somalia (Puntland, Somaliland and Mogadishu), Kenya (Dadaab and Kakuma ), Ethiopia (Addis Ababa, Dolo Ado, Shire,Gambella and Asosa), South Sudan (Juba, Awil, Alek and Aweril) and Yemen (Sa’naa and Aden).
The NRC Horn of Africa & Yemen mission is an expanding programme. NRC started its operations in Kenya in the refugee camps in Dadaab in February 2007.
NRC has WASH, Shelter, Education, Food Security and Livelihood and Information Counselling and Legal Assistant programmes implemented in the refugee camps in Dadaab, Kakuma and Mandera.
The Education Specialist will be responsible for the overall supervision and coordination of education projects in the Kenya programme.
Education Specialist reports to the Head of Programmes
- Develop Education strategy, technical SOPs, and Macro LFAs in line with NRC Programme Policy and national and international standards, and in coordination with other Core Competences
- Compliance with and adherence to NRC policies, guidance and procedures
- Contribute to fundraising, develop and revise funding proposal, budgets and donor reports
- Identify trends technical standards and donor priorities
- Follow up on compliance with contractual commitments within Education CC, ensure high technical quality and synergies in project implementation
- Provide technical direction and project implementation support
- Ensure that key learnings are extracted from Education CC implementation, and incorporate them in Education CC and staff development processes
- Provide systematic training and build capacity of technical staff
- Represent NRC in relevant forums/clusters, including with national authorities and donors
- Promote the rights of IDPs/returnees in line with the advocacy strategy
- Ensure harmonization and consistency across Education projects implemented in the field offices.
- Responsible for technical quality and innovation of the Education program, and for seeking synergies with other Core Competences/programs.
- Responsible for developing and revising funding proposals, budgets and donor reports in accordance with the Education program strategy and priorities, programme policy and international standards
- Responsible for following up the compliance with grants commitments (i.e. quality, timeliness, use of resources), and for providing recommendations to Project Coordinators to achieve project targets and indicators
- Provide technical direction and project implementation support to AMs and PCs in the field, included capacity building
- Ensuring that Team Areas Offices have an education structure compliant with CC Strategy and able to deliver quality education programme
- Evaluation, review and quality control of ongoing and completed Education projects.
- Ensure adherence to the Education tools and handbooks and other NRC policies
- Represent NRC at Education sectoral meetings and relevant Education working groups at Nairobi level and if need be in operational areas
- Any other task relevant to the position as requested by the Head of Programme
Duty station: Nairobi
Contract period is for 12 months with possibility of extension.
Salary / benefits: According to NRC’s general directions, The candidate will observe NRC’s code of conduct and working hours for the NRC Office in Nairobi.
Travel: Some travelling must be expected
How to Apply
Candidates should apply on line by going through www.nrc.no.
Email and paper applications will not be considered
- Location: Kenya
- Industry: Emergency Relief
- Special field: Education / Training
- Role: Middle / line manager
Deadline for application: 08/05/2017